Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second-year Maths student, and I'm trying to get some plans for next summer, hopefully including a little money. My parents live in London and I'm renting a house here in Durham, so either is fine. Plan A is a BP-sponsored research internship here in Durham, which my professor is hinting I'm quite likely to get, but I'd really, really like a backup plan.

• I'm on a four-year course here at the moment, but I may switch to a three-year course and do my fourth year somewhere else, I'm not sure yet. For the sake of student finance it's much better for me to be on the four-year course until I'm sure, but this means that I'm technically not in my penultimate year, which many companies ask for.
    • Me and finance have an odd relationship. I'm aware that it's where many mathematicians get employed in the end, but right now I'm not too happy with the idea of working in a bank. I'm sure I'd like it once I get stuck in, but for now, it's putting me off the applications, and I'm sure my current lack of enthusiasm would come across in an interview.
    • I live in Durham at the moment. If I get called to multiple interviews in London for an internship that is Plan B to begin with, I wouldn't be amazingly happy.

That's the jist of it. If possible I'd like some ideas outside the big City banks for mathematical internships, preferably with some money involved.

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    Durham uni must have a research taster scheme you could get a job with. At Sheffield uni, it's called SURE, maybe Durham has an equivalent- it's where you get a six week paid internship with one of the university's research groups.

Engineering companies could be an option. Mathematicians tend to be good at modelling systems and writing code. Look for companies that are IP (intellectual property- file their own patents) driven- they are the most likely to employ a maths student.

Maybe get some experience as an actuary? I'm not sure if that comes under finance but I know someone who did maths at uni and is now training as an actuary- it's relevant and she really enjoys it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.