(Urgent) How to tell if a subject is major/minor or 50/50? Watch

Thomas_96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For a joint honours degree, English and Philosophy for instance, how do I tell if it consists of an equal split or if one is major or minor??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English AND philosophy = 50/50 degree

English WITH philosophy = 66/33 degree. Aka Major in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Thomas_96)
For a joint honours degree, English and Philosophy for instance, how do I tell if it consists of an equal split or if one is major or minor??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually if it's titled 'English AND Philosophy' it's 50:50. Whereas 'Philosophy WITH English' would probably be 75% Philosophy and 25% English. The split can be different, though. 'English with Philosophy' would be the other way around. (I could be wrong, though )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thomas_96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you both so much.

So why is it that some courses are entitled to "History and International relations" and others "International relations and history" if at the end of the day they're both 50/50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only way to tell for sure is to look at the course syllabus. All this "with means 67/33" is nonsense
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

So why is it that some courses are entitled to "History and International relations" and others "International relations and history" if at the end of the day they're both 50/50
It might be marketing consultants thinking one sounds more attractive; it might be that the course is administered by the first-named department; it might be that a university has an alphabetical order policy; some universities always put the courses they tack on second (e.g philosophy at Oxford); or it may just be that the head of one faculty won a willy-waving contest with the head of the other faculty.
IgnorantAwareness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I study 2 subjects (English Language & Psychology) with a 50/50 split- it is, however, officially called a 'Combined Honours' course, instead of 'Joint Honours' one (even though Joint Honours courses at my university also have a 50/ 50 subject split)...

I would therefore definitely second the notion that you should actually check with the individual university (prospectus, syllabus etc) before making any assumptions about subject weighting!

(PS- Just to confuse matters further, I've even seen some JH courses called things like 'Joint Honours ___ with Minor ___' haha )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads