Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    push ups aren't going to build your pecs, they might do a bit for muscular endurance if you do enough of them but if you want to build mass you need far more resistance than body weight

bench press is going to be the most effective by far, use a spotter, increasing the weight you do as you become stronger

also do dumbbell presses on an incline

I get the feeling though when I see the posts on here which say "how do I build up x body part" that the original poster of these topics is never going to seriously develop anything because they just want to do some specific exercises thinking that they will bulk up that part. Do a whole body workout if you're serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    push ups aren't going to build your pecs, they might do a bit for muscular endurance if you do enough of them but if you want to build mass you need far more resistance than body weight
    As a secondary excercise, alongside something with weights, wide grip push ups are going to be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    err..how about you just bench, and do incline dumbells to supplement that. just for a simple starter workout. and don't do ****ing close grip push ups. do them last if you have to. personally i feel they don't do much.

ReputationRep:
    I do 3 sets on each inclination (decline, flat, incline) on both the flys and the dumbell chest press but I dont see any results...

ReputationRep:
    maybe your not trying hard enough, lift heavier weights

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite entertaining when you see people at the gym who do lots of sets at 8 reps and so on using light weights and then complain about seeing no results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry5069)
    If you want the lower part of the chest try a decline dumbell/ barbell press or decline dumbell flyes, just look at the links posted by shuvle and then adjust your body position so your head is lower than your chest and hips, this emphasises the lower part of your chest. Apart from that just use the links above and work your whole chest, it all helps.
    You're all fine with bench pressing and incline bench pressing. Alternate between Dumbells and a bar for each workout.

Decline is, IMO, vastly overrated.. it just puts your arms into a more mechanically advantageous position, thus allowing you to shift more weight. Stick with flat and incline, and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi3f)
    maybe your not trying hard enough, lift heavier weights
    or more likely, diet is ****e.

ReputationRep:
    Try doing a down set (not sure what its actually called) on the 3rd set of whatever you chose to do, its really fun :P

What i mean is, say your bench pressing 100kg, whip 30 off and try push out some 70s, then do 50s, then 30s without stopping, you end up with a set of like 30-35 reps and it really burns :P

I recommend doing it every 3rd or 4th week for maximum fun.

ReputationRep:
    ^drop sets

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.