Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!
    Ill be going to Uni in two years but Im still not 100% certain on the carreer I want to pursue. :confused:
    Does anyone take a journalism degree in Uni?.... and is it worth in in your opinion? Ive always been a keen and confident writer able to express myself on paper as well as verbally. Its just fun for me and something I really enjoy! However Ive been told that journalism is a an extremley hard career to obatin sucesfully, currently. Im also very interested in law and poltics and I think ill be able to possibly make more of a career from them. Im very interested in the law, justice system and politics. What I really need information/opinions on is if, Journalism is a good degree in the the long run? Also can law, politcs and journalims all merge into one job? A political writer is one job right?
    Thanks for your help.

Sorry for any typos btw. Im in a rush and not the most amazing speller :P A possible future journalist who cant spell haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deborarosa)
    Hey everyone!
    Ill be going to Uni in two years but Im still not 100% certain on the carreer I want to pursue. :confused:
    Does anyone take a journalism degree in Uni?.... and is it worth in in your opinion? Ive always been a keen and confident writer able to express myself on paper as well as verbally. Its just fun for me and something I really enjoy! However Ive been told that journalism is a an extremley hard career to obatin sucesfully, currently. Im also very interested in law and poltics and I think ill be able to possibly make more of a career from them. Im very interested in the law, justice system and politics. What I really need information/opinions on is if, Journalism is a good degree in the the long run? Also can law, politcs and journalims all merge into one job? A political writer is one job right?
    Thanks for your help.

Sorry for any typos btw. Im in a rush and not the most amazing speller :P A possible future journalist who cant spell haha
    :wavey: Welcome to the site! You're unlikely to find help for this in the Welcome Lounge - that forum is just for people to introduce themselves rather than asking other questions. I've moved your thread to the Careers forums, where you should be able to find others who can help you.

ReputationRep:
    I think Law Politics and Journalism merges quite nicely myself - for example, through the wonderful medium of television, particularly Current Affairs - but then I would say that being an ex-telly myself.

People working in Current Affairs TV are highly likely to be journalists as well - check out everyone who works for ITN/BBC current affairs or news.

I am sure if you googled around the Leveson enquiry you would find some operatives with Law, Politics and Journalism-type jobs.

Journalism plus law - well - slightly harder to make it work than politics, IMO, but have a look at Clive Wotsit (ex barrister) or Alex Wotsit (Legal Cheek).

You might want to check out the CVs of persons like Alistair Campbell and Evan Davies I bet they all did PPE at Oxford. Lots of MPs have a law background - Tony Blair for example. I'm sure there's more.

You might want to think of something like parliamentary researcher as a good start point - I think people who do this are often journalists or people with a journalistic bent.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    I think Law Politics and Journalism merges quite nicely myself - for example, through the wonderful medium of television, particularly Current Affairs - but then I would say that being an ex-telly myself.

People working in Current Affairs TV are highly likely to be journalists as well - check out everyone who works for ITN/BBC current affairs or news.

I am sure if you googled around the Leveson enquiry you would find some operatives with Law, Politics and Journalism-type jobs.

Journalism plus law - well - slightly harder to make it work than politics, IMO, but have a look at Clive Wotsit (ex barrister) or Alex Wotsit (Legal Cheek).

You might want to check out the CVs of persons like Alistair Campbell and Evan Davies I bet they all did PPE at Oxford. Lots of MPs have a law background - Tony Blair for example. I'm sure there's more.

You might want to think of something like parliamentary researcher as a good start point - I think people who do this are often journalists or people with a journalistic bent.

ReputationRep:
    glad you found it helpful - sometimes I wish I had had a go at parliamentary researcher - tough world though! But it's very exciting..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.