The Student Room Group

Should I try and get a job now or wait until the new year?

Hi :smile:

Basically just looking for an opinion. I'm on a gap year and I want to get some part time work, preferably in retail. However, I'm going abroad for a week from christmas to the new year. I'm wondering whether if I apply now if I'll get rejected for any posts because I'll be away during one of their busiest periods?

Is it worth just waiting until January when I might be in a better position to get a job?

Thanks for any opinions :smile:.

PS. on another note, my dad's just got a puppy and because I'm not employed yet and he's working full time, he sort of expects me to look after it during the day. Obviously I don't want to be doing this all year and want to get a job, so does anyone have any idea how I could get out of this rut of him thinking I'm going to be looking after it all the time, so I can actually get a job?

Thank you :smile:.
Reply 1
Most of the jobs going now are Christmas Temps. If you can't work Christmas week, you don't stand a chance so no, there's no point in applying. Although in January I don't think many places will be looking, as the Christmas temps will be kept on if they impressed. You don't really have much choice though and you'll probably find somewhere eventually.

As for the puppy, you're just going to have to tell him. You can't let that stop you from getting a job; he should understand
Reply 2
Thanks for replying :smile: . Maybe I should just wait until January, it seems like I'm in a bit of a Catch-22 situation.. :s-smilie:

I don't really need the money so it's not a crucial situation but I would like a job to get some experience, especially considering I haven't done any paid work yet.

I was thinking of applying to smaller shops as I hoped they would have less applicants.. hopefully I'll find something :redface:
Reply 3
Yeah you are, if the money isn't important then do voluntary work. I worked in Age UK last summer during study leave, and the experience helped me get 2 jobs! I'm going back to the charity shop at Christmas- places like that will snap you up as there seems to be a lack of volunteers (well there is at my shop anyway). Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Scotus
Yeah you are, if the money isn't important then do voluntary work. I worked in Age UK last summer during study leave, and the experience helped me get 2 jobs! I'm going back to the charity shop at Christmas- places like that will snap you up as there seems to be a lack of volunteers (well there is at my shop anyway). Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TruthseekerFtw
Get a job you lazy workshy ****.

Its inexplicably pathetic people like you who are complete and utter wastes of space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending