Unsure on taking a gap year HELPP Watch

mollytt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im planning to do animal science at uni in 2014 so long as I get offers and places etc through ucas

however I do want to take a gap year, but feel as if it would put my life on hold sort of (bare with me...)

if I was to take a gap year, I'd try and get a bit of work experience and some paid work, also would like to clear my head a bit get fit and healthy and lose some weight etc

the reason I don't want to take a gap year is that I feel that it might be 'weird' going away to uni at 19? -kinda stupid I know. I also feel like I'd graduate late, get a job later and it just feels like it pushes everything back a year??? (Cant really explain it) also would the people on my undergraduate course be a year younger than me?

am I over thinking this? Has anyone else done anything similar? Please let me know if this is stupid haha

thanks!! :-)
beary.bear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mollytt)
Im planning to do animal science at uni in 2014 so long as I get offers and places etc through ucas

however I do want to take a gap year, but feel as if it would put my life on hold sort of (bare with me...)

if I was to take a gap year, I'd try and get a bit of work experience and some paid work, also would like to clear my head a bit get fit and healthy and lose some weight etc

the reason I don't want to take a gap year is that I feel that it might be 'weird' going away to uni at 19? -kinda stupid I know. I also feel like I'd graduate late, get a job later and it just feels like it pushes everything back a year??? (Cant really explain it) also would the people on my undergraduate course be a year younger than me?

am I over thinking this? Has anyone else done anything similar? Please let me know if this is stupid haha

thanks!! :-)
I think a gap year can be a great idea. Especially if you don't feel ready for Uni yet, there's no rush. Going to uni at 19 is not a big deal at all, 1 year is really nothing in the grand scale of things.
If you do decide to take a gap year, I seriously think you should plan it out carefully. The worst thing that could happen is having nothing planned and doing **** all for a year, I know this from experience!
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More people take gap years than you might think. I know a lot of people who have gone to uni at 19.
MocchiatoBreak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently on a gap year, it can be abit lonely even tho I have a part time job and volunteering places since all my friends are in uni,

age is never an issue as people born in early/mid September will be 19 when uni starts anyway

If you can find a job then gap year will be worth it, it allows you to get to know the society and mature more,

I plan on traveling at the end of my gap year so I hope it will be fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
philipk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't feel comfortable taking a gap year then don't do it. Plenty of people don't do it for the same reason - they want to get on with things. I think you should only do a gap year because it feels right - it's an opportunity to take a breather from studying, and explore the world, and you in the world Gap year students get to uni much more mature, and find more mature friends. I think uni is wasted on a lot of 18 year olds; they throw it away as they don't know how special it is. A gap year can enhance your uni experience a lot.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gap years a good idea if you have something to do rather than just waste it. So if you do take it plan as much of it as possible. There are so many people taking gap years now and starting uni at 19. It is not uncommon and to be honest no one cares how old you are when you go actually start uni. They are too busy with their own lives to even care or worry. Take a gap year if that is what you really want to do . Least you will start uni feeling more refreshed and ready to .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.72%
The paper was reasonable (441)
45.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.12%

Watched Threads