Turn on thread page Beta

You break you leg, do you choose amputation or metal bar and rods? Poll inc watch

• View Poll Results: If I broke my leg
    I would choose amputation
    0%
    I would choose titanium bar with rods
    100.00%

ReputationRep:
    Imagine this scenario, you broke your leg and you have a choice either to have it amputated or have a metal titanium bar with rods inside your leg that will never be removed, which would you choose and why?

ReputationRep:
    Rod as I feel that would affect my lifestyle less.. could never say for certain until actually in that situation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peedie pixie)
    Rod as I feel that would affect my lifestyle less.. could never say for certain until actually in that situation though.

do you think a metal rod would hurt ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Good Life)
    do you think a metal rod would hurt ?
    Can't say i've ever taken the time to think about it I would presume so, but it'd hurt getting your leg amputated & getting a prosthetic/having to use crutches and/or a wheelchair if that was the route you chose too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peedie pixie)
    Can't say i've ever taken the time to think about it I would presume so, but it'd hurt getting your leg amputated & getting a prosthetic/having to use crutches and/or a wheelchair if that was the route you chose too.

do you think it would still hurt 4 years on, for a 73 yr old woman with brittle bones

Rod. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Rod first.

If it has to be amputed later then so be it.
    Pal of mine is in this exact situation so far as I know he's still persevering with the metalwork but he might end up losing the leg anyway.

ReputationRep:
    do you think it would still hurt 4 years on, for a 73 yr old woman with brittle bones
    There's clearly something prompting these questions, so I'd suggest speaking to a doctor or someone who knows what they're talking about rather than having me guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Rod first.

If it has to be amputed later then so be it.
    Pal of mine is in this exact situation so far as I know he's still persevering with the metalwork but he might end up losing the leg anyway.

Hi JC, thanks for taking your time to help.

My Nan broke her leg 4 years ago after a fall, sh has a metal bar in her leg with rods, she never complains or goes on about it but do you think t would still hurt 4 years on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi JC, thanks for taking your time to help.

My Nan broke her leg 4 years ago after a fall, sh has a metal bar in her leg with rods, she never complains or goes on about it but do you think t would still hurt 4 years on?
    Depends how it healed.
    If it healed in such a way to restrict movement it may well be painful to move about.

When you say "broke her leg" if it was a clean break through one of the long bones that'll have healed up nicely by now and the metalwork won't really be doing a great deal.

If it was, as in the case of my pal, he shattered his ankle - so lots of little bones. They've all sort of fused together in a way that isn't natural which makes it hard for him to move about.
    Their solution is to basically break his leg again so they knit back together in a different way. If that fails it'll be amputation time.

Short answer... as is often the way... it all depends on the individual circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Aron Ramsey (footballer) broke his leg in two places and I believe he has metal rods and he's on the form of his Life. So if it works and heals correctly rods are the option! And would certainly be my option!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Depends how it healed.
    If it healed in such a way to restrict movement it may well be painful to move about.

When you say "broke her leg" if it was a clean break through one of the long bones that'll have healed up nicely by now and the metalwork won't really be doing a great deal.

If it was, as in the case of my pal, he shattered his ankle - so lots of little bones. They've all sort of fused together in a way that isn't natural which makes it hard for him to move about.
    Their solution is to basically break his leg again so they knit back together in a different way. If that fails it'll be amputation time.

Short answer... as is often the way... it all depends on the individual circumstances.

She broke a major bone, think it's called a femur,

ReputationRep:
    Rod - and then proceed to acquire a badass walking cane, a team of 3 doctors to work in my diagnostics team and a vicodin addiction. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Titanium just to say "I AM TITAAAANIIIIUUUUUUUUUUM" and literally mean it.

ReputationRep:
    My mum after about 7-9 years still has metal plate in her foot because once she broke it and it had turned into the opposite side, it was literally just hanging. It does get painful, especially if you stand long periods. I would choose metals because you still have your leg.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.