Turn on thread page Beta

Need help selecting parts for my custom PC watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Heterosexual.

I'm looking to build a PC for myself, budget will be between £650 - £800. It will be used primarily for editing and rendering purposes - you know editing videos in after effects, premier pro photoshop etc.

I would also like the option to have both windows and Mac operating systems on there, as in when I start the PC up I can choose which OS I would like to load? This is because some software is exclusive to OSX so I need to take advantage of this feature.
    Ideally an SSD for each OS would be good, then another hard drive (1TB etc) as a junk hard drive to store all my raw files etc. I am also assuming I need a good processor and lots of RAM?

I am NOT intending to play games on this computer, I don't know if this affects anything.

I do not need to buy any software with my budget or keyboard/mouse/monitor.

What do you guys think? Is this achievable with the budget constraint? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heterosexual)
    Hi, I'm Heterosexual.

I'm looking to build a PC for myself, budget will be between £650 - £800. It will be used primarily for editing and rendering purposes - you know editing videos in after effects, premier pro photoshop etc.

I would also like the option to have both windows and Mac operating systems on there, as in when I start the PC up I can choose which OS I would like to load? This is because some software is exclusive to OSX so I need to take advantage of this feature.
    Ideally an SSD for each OS would be good, then another hard drive (1TB etc) as a junk hard drive to store all my raw files etc. I am also assuming I need a good processor and lots of RAM?

I am NOT intending to play games on this computer, I don't know if this affects anything.

Buy the best Mac you can for £800 then and put Windows on that.

There's just no point doing it the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Buy the best Mac you can for £800 then and put Windows on that.

There's just no point doing it the other way round.
    Whats wrong with a Hackintosh?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody awkward and very restrictive in terms of hardware. Plus, there are no guarantees that it'll work well even if you get the right components.

But, if you want to try it: http://lifehacker.com/5837615/how-do...g-a-hackintosh

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Heterosexual.
    Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Heterosexual.

You can't have Mac os on a standard built computer, need to get a mac and get windows.

Otherwise forget about Macintosh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much
    That cracked me up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Buy the best Mac you can for £800
    That certainly narrows it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    You can't have Mac os on a standard built computer, need to get a mac and get windows.

Otherwise forget about Macintosh
    Of course you can have Mac OS on a 'standard built computer.'

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can have Mac OS on a 'standard built computer.'
    You really can't..........the components have to be very specific and theres not guarantee it'll work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    You really can't..........the components have to be very specific and theres not guarantee it'll work
    So long as you buy the right components it is incredibly easy.

I have built 5 in the last 7 months and there has not been a single issue.

OP for your shopping list, simply choose from the components here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/section/295-customac.html

It really is as simple as building any other PC ...

ReputationRep:
    Excellent choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    Excellent choice.
    Icannot tell if sarcasm is involved. Are you sure that a Hackingtosh will be fine for my needs?

ReputationRep:
    Icannot tell if sarcasm is involved. Are you sure that a Hackingtosh will be fine for my needs?
    I was not been sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    It seems really impractical to have both OSes and not worth it for exclusive software that's probably no better than Windows' alternatives. Buy a Mac and put on Windows and you'll get a crappy, overpriced computer.* Build a PC and put on OS X and you'll get a buggy OS. Plus you'll lose quite a bit of money just for that extra SSD. On top of that you'll need a pirated OS which is probably rather dodgy.

*Let the flame wars begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceTreaty)
    It seems really impractical to have both OSes and not worth it for exclusive software that's probably no better than Windows' alternatives. Buy a Mac and put on Windows and you'll get a crappy, overpriced computer.* Build a PC and put on OS X and you'll get a buggy OS. Plus you'll lose quite a bit of money just for that extra SSD. On top of that you'll need a pirated OS which is probably rather dodgy.

*Let the flame wars begin.
    (i) you won't get a buggy OS at all.
    (ii) Whilst it is true that you would have to break the EULA to install OSX on a self built "mac", it is not true that you would have to Pirate anything ... OSX can be bought quite legitimately as a download. (19 quid ?)
    (iii) nothing wrong dual boot systems ... best of both worlds (throw Linux on too and let the fun begin)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    (i) you won't get a buggy OS at all.
    (ii) Whilst it is true that you would have to break the EULA to install OSX on a self built "mac", it is not true that you would have to Pirate anything ... OSX can be bought quite legitimately as a download. (19 quid ?)
    (iii) nothing wrong dual boot systems ... best of both worlds (throw Linux on too and let the fun begin)
    Well my points were based on assuming OP would pirate one of the extra OSes such as it being buggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceTreaty)
    Well my points were based on assuming OP would pirate one of the extra OSes such as it being buggy.
    Why would you make such an assumption?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Heterosexual.

If you're not doing gaming, will you ever need to run Windows anyway? It sounds like you'll only need OS X, so get a Mac. It will cost a bit more than £800 but it's worth paying that bit extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    If you're not doing gaming, will you ever need to run Windows anyway? It sounds like you'll only need OS X, so get a Mac. It will cost a bit more than £800 but it's worth paying that bit extra.
    Yes but I am overpaying. I can build a better system more suited for my needs for under half the cost. I am doing heavy video editing, animations and rendering - I need a powerful system for these uses.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.