Need a new laptop and am rubbish at technology... help?! Watch

Millie_J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi!
So, the laptop I have at the moment is a toshiba satellite pro A100. Now, my mum bought this laptop for me from my local primary school when they were selling them in exchange for something more modern - and that was 3 years ago - so this laptop is preeetty out of date now. I mean, it's running windows XP for god sake so I could really do with an upgrade!!

I'll be going to university next year, so I really need a laptop that's lightweight and super-speedy. I'm also quite fussy about it looking nice, but I guess that's slightly less important.
Other than that - oh, and a decent battery life - I really don't know what I should be looking for.

I've been looking at Acer models at the moment, and I'm kind of taken with the Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks because they're just so bloody cool but if anyone has any recommendations I'd be really grateful

Urm, yes, so basically my questions are:
What sort of specifications should I look for? Also, I'm completely thick when it comes to things like RAM and i3 processors or whatever, so if you could explain things in really simple child-speak that'd be great
What recommendations do you have for awesome laptops?
Are there any brands of laptop that I should avoid?

Also, my budget's pretty low - around £300 really, so nothing major expensive

THANKS SO MUCH OMG xxx
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millie_J)
Hi!
So, the laptop I have at the moment is a toshiba satellite pro A100. Now, my mum bought this laptop for me from my local primary school when they were selling them in exchange for something more modern - and that was 3 years ago - so this laptop is preeetty out of date now. I mean, it's running windows XP for god sake so I could really do with an upgrade!!

I'll be going to university next year, so I really need a laptop that's lightweight and super-speedy. I'm also quite fussy about it looking nice, but I guess that's slightly less important.
Other than that - oh, and a decent battery life - I really don't know what I should be looking for.

I've been looking at Acer models at the moment, and I'm kind of taken with the Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks because they're just so bloody cool but if anyone has any recommendations I'd be really grateful

Urm, yes, so basically my questions are:
What sort of specifications should I look for? Also, I'm completely thick when it comes to things like RAM and i3 processors or whatever, so if you could explain things in really simple child-speak that'd be great
What recommendations do you have for awesome laptops?
Are there any brands of laptop that I should avoid?

Also, my budget's pretty low - around £300 really, so nothing major expensive

THANKS SO MUCH OMG xxx
Your budget is extremely low...........so low that touchscreen stuff is pretty much out of the question.
As is it looking all that great, etc to be honest.
Millie_J
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Your budget is extremely low...........so low that touchscreen stuff is pretty much out of the question.
As is it looking all that great, etc to be honest.
Ahh yeah, I thought that to begin with, but actually there are quite a few good looking touch screen laptops for around that price - am actually looking at the ACER aspire V5-122P which I think might fit the bill and it comes in at about £330.
I just wanted to see if there were any others and what would be the minimum specifications for it to do what I need for uni so I don't end up buying something useless :P Um, thanks for the reply though, I guess.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millie_J)
Ahh yeah, I thought that to begin with, but actually there are quite a few good looking touch screen laptops for around that price - am actually looking at the ACER aspire V5-122P which I think might fit the bill and it comes in at about £330.
I just wanted to see if there were any others and what would be the minimum specifications for it to do what I need for uni so I don't end up buying something useless :P Um, thanks for the reply though, I guess.
The specs on it are terrible.........
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ACER is quite OK. The critical point is to have touch screen function. Other specs are not so important.
Please consider this:
http://www.acer.com.my/ac/en/MY/content/series/aspires7
summer26
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not sure about apple prices in UK but can you buy a macbook pro/air with that amount of budget?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed