What's the point in tablets? Watch

WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been seeing them all over the media recently as if they're an essential piece of technology but I really can't see the point in them. They're not powerful enough and the screen keyboard is not good enough to do actual computing on it so they are essentially just giant smartphones without the phone?

Can anyone give me any reasons why it would be worth shelling out £300 on one of these things? Watching movies in the car is not a good enough reason.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watching movies in bed without burning your legs / melting the internals of a laptop?

I dunno, I barely use mine now that I've got my PC up and running.
bhav777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They allow people to consume information on their travels.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Well I can walk around the house with it.

Its light. Internet. Has everything I could need I don't even use PC's anymore.
zenistar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a PC in the basement office, a laptop for when i need it (most often for work) and the thing i use most - the tablet. For surfing the web, reading, consuming media, you cant beat them, easy to sling in a bag and use on the train, at the coffee shop etc.

You're not going to write an essay on the onscreen keyboards but that is not what they are made for.
funnywalk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dunno, I had an iPad 3, sold it, recently bought an iPad mini cheap off eBay, gave it to my mom. I simply don't have a use for tablets even though I do try to convince myself of their usefulness. Everything I can do on a tablet I can do more comfortably on my laptop/its external monitor. And for browsing the web, reading forums and whatnot, I can just as well use my phone (which I'm doing right now and it's also far more comfortable to type on while lying). So I really just can't find a reason to use a tablet though I consider tablets incredibly cool devices. But that's just up to the point where I try to use them.
WGR
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by funnywalk)
Dunno, I had an iPad 3, sold it, recently bought an iPad mini cheap off eBay, gave it to my mom. I simply don't have a use for tablets even though I do try to convince myself of their usefulness. Everything I can do on a tablet I can do more comfortably on my laptop/its external monitor. And for browsing the web, reading forums and whatnot, I can just as well use my phone (which I'm doing right now and it's also far more comfortable to type on while lying). So I really just can't find a reason to use a tablet though I consider tablets incredibly cool devices. But that's just up to the point where I try to use them.
This is basically how I feel about tablets. They seem really cool and look like something that I should be using but i just can't see any actual use for them. The only use I could see is to replace my laptop for portable computing but do they have the power. I plan on doing an engineering degree and cba to lug a laptop around with me. Are tablets at all useful for enginners?
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a luddite and personally don't really see the need for them. They look neat, and are probably fun to play but meh. I'm more happy to read a paper on the train and take notes down on paper than use a tablet. Each to their own I suppose.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's handy if you travel abroad as you don't need to carry your laptop everywhere with you.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ultrabooks>tablets
polscistudent88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To me, they are just a clear example of marketing-creating-needs. Their greatest advantage (other than good marketing and nice design) is portability... Nothing you could not find in other devices... The real positive element I see is that people with heavy and unportable computers can solve some of their problems spending less money than for a new and lighter computer...
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are to make people who don't have them feel inferior.
I am delighted to report that this is ... not working
beckaroo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I play with mine on the train. I take it to uni as I have power points from lectures and look at them during breaks at uni sometimes. They're not really necessary for every day life but I enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beckaroo7)
I play with mine on the train.
Naughty :naughty:
beckaroo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
Naughty :naughty:
Pretty sure it's allowed
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beckaroo7)
Pretty sure it's allowed
*checks the rules*
Oh yeah, looks like you're right actually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads