The Student Room Group

Do you consider biology as a science?

This question is out of curiosity as I have stumbled on quite a few people who don't consider biology as a science, what are your opinions?

*why would you say it is/isn't a science?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course biology is a science, its just not as highly regarded as physical sciences imo. People who say biology is not a science is an idiot.
I do biology and while I do consider it a science, even though it's my subject, I don't hold in as high of a regard as physics 'cause obvs everything is based on physics.
Reply 3
Original post by Nitrogen
Of course biology is a science, its just not as highly regarded as physical sciences imo. People who say biology is not a science is an idiot.

Well you see quite a few people who i know have said biology isn't a science. I want to know see if other people think the same and why :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course it is! Physics is traditionally seen as a brainier one from speculation, with Chemistry in the middle and Biology at the other end. Although, it depends on the person. If you're naturally good at Maths/problem solving then you'll likely find Phys and Chem easier. I personally did AS Biology last year and achieved 98% in the exams. I do Chemistry this year and find it easier than Bio.

Simply, yes, Biology is undoubtedly a science (and the most popular!)
Reply 5
Original post by Blob :)
Well you see quite a few people who i know have said biology isn't a science. I want to know see if other people think the same and why :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well from what I gather its usually arrogant physics students or the ignorant public who say that biology is not a science. I personally dislike biology, but that doesnt mean its not a science.
Reply 6
It ends in -ology - so no :mmm:

The irony.
care to explain?

Your sentence made no grammatical sense.
Yep.
Reply 10
It makes use of the scientific method to yes.
In order for a subject to be a science, I reckon it should be able to make predictions. If it fulfills that, then it is a science.
Original post by Blob :)
This question is out of curiosity as I have stumbled on quite a few people who don't consider biology as a science, what are your opinions?

*why would you say it is/isn't a science?

We, that is to say educated folk, tend to call those kind of people morons :wink:
Reply 13
Yes it is. Here is an open message to all jealous w**kers out there:

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

To engineers: Yes we do Molecular techniques called "genetic engineering" that do not involve engineering. It is adding and mixing different reagents to create new genes. So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate and engineering in genetic engineering is not engineering

To mathematicians / Business students: You're not science

To doctors: We lecture you

To chavs: You don't even uni

To snobby Oxford history/philosophy students: You're studying something impractical, find a job after your degree you bloody w**ker

Love
Biologists
Original post by Masoudy

To doctors: We lecture you

Er, no, you (nearly always) don't - and when you do your lectures are usually filled with all kinds of crap which we don't need. Murine models might be really pertinent in the lab, but they don't really help us when we're trying to do a clinical job.

Sincerely,

A current medical student and life sciences graduate.
Reply 15
Original post by Democracy
Er, no, you (nearly always) don't - and when you do your lectures are usually filled with all kinds of crap which we don't need. Murine models might be really pertinent in the lab, but they don't really help us when we're trying to do a clinical job.

Sincerely,

A current medical student and life sciences graduate.

Yes we do. I wonder who lectures you about genetic diseases, enzymes, cells, homeostasis etc

Your paragraph is a fact twister, sorry
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
It ends in -ology - so no :mmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfKEzX9QLE
Original post by Masoudy
Yes we do. I wonder who lectures you about genetic diseases, enzymes, cells, homeostasis etc

Your paragraph is a fact twister, sorry

Yeah...the Krebs cycle - that's super clinical stuff brah.

That would be the part I mentioned about non-applicable lectures which have little to no clinical correlations. And I say this as someone who bossed his pre-clinical biochem exams and actually enjoyed the module to boot. But it IS really unrelated to what doctors do day to day.

Also just fyi, homeostasis was taught to us within the context of our various body systems modules by basic sciences tutors who were all medically qualified.
Reply 18
nowadays even history can be a science. Ive never heard anyone saying biology is not a science. I believe it is even a core science. Maybe people say psychology isn't but biology definitely is a science.
No biology is just stamp collecting. Physics is science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending