The Student Room Group

Do you consider biology as a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by myblueheaven339
Bit of an over generalisation don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which part?
Original post by betaglucowhat
One of the following equations is from a biology paper, one is from a chemistry paper, and the other a physics paper. Which is which?

A) 1.png
B) 2.png
C) 3.png

I want to know the answer now...

I'd guess that C is the biology paper...could be B though.
Bit of an over generalisation don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That biologists are less intelligent than chemists or physicists. Do you think people only take biology because they're not smart enough to study the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaFa1237
Is A a chem paper? Or B, I can see the Boltzmann constant.

Original post by joey11223
I want to know the answer now...

I'd guess that C is the biology paper...could be B though.

They're all from biology papers. Biology contains lots of maths!
Reply 84
That biologists are less intelligent than chemists or physicists. Do you think people only take biology because they're not smart enough to study the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not what I said at all - I myself take biology, chemistry and further maths at A level, and am currently finding biology the hardest out of the three. I merely said that the subject is perceived by the public as less difficult than the other sciences, probably because it is a lot less mathematical, and so many people who just want to take a science for the sake of it choose to take biology, despite not being particularly interested in it, and hence do poorly. These people certainly aren't the majority, but, at least from my own experience, there is a greater proportion of them studying biology, compared to other sciences. There seems to be a huge misconception that you can wing biology A level without much effort, but not chemistry or physics.
Reply 85
Original post by betaglucowhat

They're all from biology papers. Biology contains lots of maths!

You evil person! :tongue:
I know it does, I did A Level Bio and there were those bloody chi square calculations we had to do!
Original post by Sanji4796
That's not what I said at all - I myself take biology, chemistry and further maths at A level, and am currently finding biology the hardest out of the three. I merely said that the subject is perceived by the public as less difficult than the other sciences, probably because it is a lot less mathematical, and so many people who just want to take a science for the sake of it choose to take biology, despite not being particularly interested in it, and hence do poorly. These people certainly aren't the majority, but, at least from my own experience, there is a greater proportion of them studying biology, compared to other sciences. There seems to be a huge misconception that you can wing biology A level without much effort, but not chemistry or physics.

I think I understand you better now. Would you agree that those who wish to "wing it" at biology a level tend to be weeded out by degree level and therefore this perception of biology being easy depends on the level that you study it to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Blob :)
This question is out of curiosity as I have stumbled on quite a few people who don't consider biology as a science, what are your opinions?

*why would you say it is/isn't a science?

Its a science.
why would it NOT be a science?
Reply 89
I think I understand you better now. Would you agree that those who wish to "wing it" at biology a level tend to be weeded out by degree level and therefore this perception of biology being easy depends on the level that you study it to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad we cleared up that misunderstanding :smile: I really can't speak for the difficulty of degree level as I only have experience as an A level student, however I don't think anyone I know is applying for biology just for the sake of it or because it looks easy, so I'm inclined to agree with you
Original post by Blob :)
This question is out of curiosity as I have stumbled on quite a few people who don't consider biology as a science, what are your opinions? (...)

The word biology is derivated from ancient Greek and means the science of life. Nature, no matter animals, plants or humans is a part of life. Biology (especially biochemistry) explain how the nature works, that's I say yes, biology is a science.
how can it not be a science?

- it is experimental and falsifiable, categorical and inductive.
No- it is based on Pokemon and that is not scientific.
ranking sciences by difficulty seems rather moronic, rank them by complexity.

Original post by Professor Mature
No- it is based on Pokemon and that is not scientific.

haha silly noob must be an undergraduate us postgraduates study Digimon.
Reply 94
Actually at school, I was much better at Maths and found Biology harder, I got near full marks in all my A level maths exams but chose to do a degree in Biology. There are branches of Biology that are very mathematically intensive and these areas are expanding. I recommend you read this:

http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v11/n5/full/embor201055.html

Quote from report:

"The conversion of biology into a more quantifiable science will continue to the extent that it might even become the main driving force behind innovation and development in mathematics."
Reply 95
Original post by Democracy
We, that is to say educated folk, tend to call those kind of people morons :wink:

My chemistry teacher had a rant at us on friday about how biology isn't a science.

Although, despite her chemistry degree, she is a moron.

Apparently the physics teachers are even worse for slagging bio off...
Reply 96
I took a week or two of AS chemistry (before I switched to physics) and the head of chemistry said it was an a level in colouring in and you might as well take art! Harsh but funny :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I do not.
Reply 98
to all of you that dont think biology is a real science, it isnt new discoveries made by the physicists that will help prevent/cure diseases you (or your children-probably not an issue, you do physics after all) develop later in life...
Reply 99
Quantum biology. Now there's a science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending