Question about Free Uni eligibility for EU citizens, current situation Watch

coinín
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This probably comes up a lot, but I can't seem to find any current information in regard to my own situation.

I am a member of the many individuals a part of the Irish diaspora in Britain, and while born in England, I do not claim, nor have ever claimed British citizenship. I only have an Irish Passport as a result; which I've only seen problems with if I wanted to work for the government.

When I first heard the whole thing about EU citizens not from the "rest of the UK" getting free uni in sixth form, I thought it was funny, but I wondered for some time if it included me.
I enquired and it does, or at least did until recently.

What I wanna know is regard to the new 3 month thing the Scottish Government has brought out, what is the maximum amount of time before the 3 month thing runs out? Could I move to Ireland for the time allotted, and then move back and do my A-levels, or maybe do it in the Summer in my A2 year?
Or could I even do say a month in AS and 2 months in A2?

As an Irish citizen, I have a right to move to Ireland (and, I suppose, anywhere in Europe). I've planned to move to Ireland for a number of years anyway, and I hope to retake some of my A-levels next year, or the year after.

I want to go to Glasgow, and I've looked up the train costs and it is cheaper to get there from London by high speed train, than it is to get from my home town to London.

Also, If I do apply, what would I need to put down, and would it exclude me from certain things, such as bursaries, et cetera?

Cheers

-Rabbit :bunny:
qno2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your eligibility is based on where you live rather than what passports you have. I'm assuming that you live in England which would imply that you would not get your fees paid for you. I've never heard anything about a "3 month" rule but the standard 3 year rule is that to qualify for fees is that you must have been living in Scotland, an EU country or somewhere in the EEA for at least 3 year before you start your course. This means that if you have lived in Ireland for 3 year before starting your course then SAAS should pay your fees. There was a thing last year about people who had RoI passports but lived in Northern Ireland could qualify for fees but I'm pretty sure they closed that loophole.

All in all, you might as well just ask SAAS if you qualify or not as that will answer your question better than anyone on TSR can.

A document listing the exceptions to the standard rules: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf
General guide to student support: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/sas4.pdf
coinín
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by qno2)
Your eligibility is based on where you live rather than what passports you have. I'm assuming that you live in England which would imply that you would not get your fees paid for you. I've never heard anything about a "3 month" rule but the standard 3 year rule is that to qualify for fees is that you must have been living in Scotland, an EU country or somewhere in the EEA for at least 3 year before you start your course. This means that if you have lived in Ireland for 3 year before starting your course then SAAS should pay your fees. There was a thing last year about people who had RoI passports but lived in Northern Ireland could qualify for fees but I'm pretty sure they closed that loophole.

All in all, you might as well just ask SAAS if you qualify or not as that will answer your question better than anyone on TSR can.

A document listing the exceptions to the standard rules: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf
General guide to student support: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/sas4.pdf
Thanks

There are a number of news articles online about the change in the "loophole" and how the Scottish government were gonna make it so that such individuals had an actual "connection" to the country, so had to prove they had stayed in "another" EU country for at least 3 months.
This is the most "trustworthy" site I've found so far:
http://university.which.co.uk/advice...ng-in-scotland

The problem with alot of these things is they specifically mention "dual nationals". I am not a dual national and never have been.

Do you know of any email addresses which I can use?

-Rabbit :bunny:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Highlands and Islands
    Nursing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.81%
The paper was reasonable (493)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (220)
17.52%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.42%

Watched Threads