16.67%
Netflix (30)
83.33%
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
We don't have movies on Virgin anymore because it was too expensive. So, my only options now are to buy films, cinema or watch them online.

Looking at Lovefilm or Netflix. I see both have no contract and have a free trial. Which is better and why?
connorl9382
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
We don't have movies on Virgin anymore because it was too expensive. So, my only options now are to buy films, cinema or watch them online.

Looking at Lovefilm or Netflix. I see both have no contract and have a free trial. Which is better and why?
You spelt 'Lovefilm' wrong in the poll

I use Netflix, mainly because of the Android App so that I can watch stuff on the bus etc, also much prefer the website. Collection wise it can be hit and miss, but Lovefilm's site can give a false impression that they have loaaaaads of films but actually they're just rentable DVDs. Then again, you could just rent the DVD, watch/rip it, send it back. I only tend to watch one film once anyway.
dada55
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm assuming you have virgin internet? That's quick enough to download all movies that would be available on Lovefilm or Netflix in good quality.

I've used a free trial on Lovefilm and enjoyed some decent movies/shows. But most good movies were only available for rent (not Online watch) and even then for new movies you have to wait quite a while.
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have both, I would of said lovefilm before they got rid of the games package, I'm actually going to cancel my mebership because its just not worth it imo in comparison.

that being said its great if you watch the dvds when you get them then send them back and you can use that facility to watch the newest films.

unfortunately I dont always have time and usualy end up with 2 discs sat never being watched (effectively wasting that feature)

in terms of streaming the service is pretty good and a fairly alright selection of films (not exactly better or worse)

but in terms of service I always found netflix more reliable, less buggy/laggy and its cheaper overall

plus its better for tv shows in my experience

but thats just my take on it.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Thanks. Friends of mine said Netflix was better.
Mattylong28
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Which - lovefilm
Why - better selection
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mattylong28)
Which - lovefilm
Why - better selection
Friends of mine said this about Netflix. Although, I guess most of it depends on what I'm after.
sam079
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use both netflix and lovefilm. I prefer netflix but lovefilm has more movies on the website compared to netflix. And lovefilm has no app for android which is annoying!
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
both have loads of good titles and loads of not so good titles lol,

that being said I've watched a few films id never heard of and ended up being pleasantly suprised!
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Are you talking just about streaming online?

If so, then American Netflix is a lot better than lovefilm, but in the UK I'd say Lovefilm is better. But I think you can get some kind of proxy/ VPN that will let you watch the american version of netflix, and so if this is the case then I would choose netflix over lovefilm, otherwise I would choose lovefilm.

Also, if you go via this link: http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...efilm/28142610

then you can get six months of lovefilm for £10, so you will be getting it for less than £2 a month.
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We had both for a bit.

Netflix: Much better website & apps, quality of the films is better.

Lovefilm: Not so good quality, but larger selection of films.

Overall, I'd get Netflix. It's library is increasing and I think it will take over Lovefilm at some point. It is annoying that the US version has so much more content though.
Octopus_Garden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lovefilm doesn't stream to Linux devices. But I did get the impression Lovefilm has a better selection, and Lovefilm internet streaming to TVs has really improved recently, both in range of stuff and quality of life, i.e. it remembers your place in films and series episodes if you stop part-way through, and for series, it's really easy to watch the next episode now. You don't have to go through the search menu again and again now.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Thanks. And yes, I will just be streaming online.
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. And yes, I will just be streaming online.
Also, are you looking to watch mainly movies or tv shows? I've found that the movie selection on lovefilm is better, but netflix has more tv shows (especially in the american version).
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got netflix purely to watch breaking bad. The mrs has lovefilm, but tends to order all the films she likes, ie: stuff I'd never watch. I prefer the selection on netflix, but that is what suits me as a viewer. Why not have a go at the free trial of each of them and see which you prefer?
kitanajane
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm enjoying Lovefilm at the moment as it has the whole of Grey's Anatomy ^_^, I prefer Netflix when I use a VPN to make it the US version...... Better selection, faster releases.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
Why not have a go at the free trial of each of them and see which you prefer?
I think someone suggested this before.

It will be a mix of TV shows and films. There are many shows that people keep going on about and I have no idea what they are. (and I really want to watch old episodes of Fraiser)
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have Skystore, but prefer a dvd to downloading it. Sadly Blockbuster locally has closed down and I'll have to find some other place to rent them.

Netflix has a very limited on offer as opposed to Lovefilm, for Netflix Titanic is classed as 'new'!!!
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For giving me breaking bad - I will be eternally grateful to Netflik
connorl9382
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a free VPN service called SpotFlux which is brilliant for watching Netflix USA. Usually conventional VPN is fast enough for SD but struggles with HD, i've never had a problem with Spotflux streaming HD (at least on Netflix and YouTube). Also it works at school - uses HTTP so it just appears as secure traffic rather than VPN, so can access any site whilst using school's Wi-Fi.

http://www.spotflux.com/

Let me know if it's any use! Hope it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (234)
71.78%
Jeremy Hunt (92)
28.22%

Watched Threads