Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I tried posting this earlier and it hasn't went up and I need opinions for some peace of mind. To give a good opinion I'll explain the whole story;

Summer 2011- I meet a guy, we were both interested in each other, but it never worked out because he had recently split with his ex which was his first and I don't think he was over her, they got back together and I let them be
    March 2012- We get back in contact, he said they didn't work, I was happy to start dating. I fell in love pretty quick and thought we were perfect
    August 2012- I find out that he has cheated on me with his ex two weeks previous. I believe he only told me because his ex threatened to tell, (I had a message off her on FB around the time he told me) I left upset, we talked a little. But I was going on holiday in a couple of days so used that as space to decide how I felt. When I got back I missed him so much and loved him, I wanted to get back with him (to his surprise) but a couple of weeks later his ex told me that they hooked up again when I was on holiday which he didn't tell me either. We broke up. We stayed in little contact and remained friends because we got along so well. After a couple of months we grew close again and he slowly began to gain trust.
    A year later we have had a very strong loving relationship, with talks about the future, moving in together and never leaving each other.
    This week I visited a friend(female) at uni for a couple of days. On the first night we got so drunk I hardly remembered much but I know we got with each other and passed out. I felt incredibly guilty and told my BF now that I'm home. Me and my friend are straight, we were fine the next day but we know it was wrong. He's so angry and hurt, and thinks he won't be able to trust me. I can't understand, It has been a year since he cheated and I guess the fact that he had cheated with his ex a couple of times and I've never properly been with anyone else, I've just wanted to try something before I know I couldn't. I never did because I know how much it hurts to be cheated on. It was just a drunken mistake with my friend but didn't think of the consequences. I don't want to loose him, I love him dearly. But I feel it's not fair if we were to break up for what I did after what he did. It makes it harder I don't see him much lately because he's away working. But I know I would never do it again. I need guidance, what do you think will happen? Have I blew it? If I have is it fair? Please need help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhaiEllie)
    I tried posting this earlier and it hasn't went up and I need opinions for some peace of mind. To give a good opinion I'll explain the whole story;

Summer 2011- I meet a guy, we were both interested in each other, but it never worked out because he had recently split with his ex which was his first and I don't think he was over her, they got back together and I let them be
    March 2012- We get back in contact, he said they didn't work, I was happy to start dating. I fell in love pretty quick and thought we were perfect
    August 2012- I find out that he has cheated on me with his ex two weeks previous. I believe he only told me because his ex threatened to tell, (I had a message off her on FB around the time he told me) I left upset, we talked a little. But I was going on holiday in a couple of days so used that as space to decide how I felt. When I got back I missed him so much and loved him, I wanted to get back with him (to his surprise) but a couple of weeks later his ex told me that they hooked up again when I was on holiday which he didn't tell me either. We broke up. We stayed in little contact and remained friends because we got along so well. After a couple of months we grew close again and he slowly began to gain trust.
    A year later we have had a very strong loving relationship, with talks about the future, moving in together and never leaving each other.
    This week I visited a friend(female) at uni for a couple of days. On the first night we got so drunk I hardly remembered much but I know we got with each other and passed out. I felt incredibly guilty and told my BF now that I'm home. Me and my friend are straight, we were fine the next day but we know it was wrong. He's so angry and hurt, and thinks he won't be able to trust me. I can't understand, It has been a year since he cheated and I guess the fact that he had cheated with his ex a couple of times and I've never properly been with anyone else, I've just wanted to try something before I know I couldn't. I never did because I know how much it hurts to be cheated on. It was just a drunken mistake with my friend but didn't think of the consequences. I don't want to loose him, I love him dearly. But I feel it's not fair if we were to break up for what I did after what he did. It makes it harder I don't see him much lately because he's away working. But I know I would never do it again. I need guidance, what do you think will happen? Have I blew it? If I have is it fair? Please need help
    I would never say that two wrongs make I right but equally I can see why you may think that he should be understanding of your situation. From my point of view, though I think he feels that if every time he makes a mistake, you will rush off to do your own in "retaliation/balancing out", in the end hurting both of you.... he probably sees he can't trust you. You may have an subconscious hurt towards him, for what he did, which may have led you to perhaps be more allowing of yourself to make a similar mistake to what he did. Again, I would say both of you are hurting so maybe if you realise this issue, discuss it, it may work out... if he can't hear you out, then he's not worth the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyznothazy)
    I would never say that two wrongs make I right but equally I can see why you may think that he should be understanding of your situation. From my point of view, though I think he feels that if every time he makes a mistake, you will rush off to do your own in "retaliation/balancing out", in the end hurting both of you.... he probably sees he can't trust you. You may have an subconscious hurt towards him, for what he did, which may have led you to perhaps be more allowing of yourself to make a similar mistake to what he did. Again, I would say both of you are hurting so maybe if you realise this issue, discuss it, it may work out... if he can't hear you out, then he's not worth the time.
    Thank you, I understand. I know I would never do that again to him, it was a mistake. But with newer knowledge on the situation, he has no trust in me and I have to wait to see how he feels when we see each other which could be a few weeks, I guess time will tell

ReputationRep:
    I really would be unfair if you guys broke up. He should give you a chance. And now you're even - not that it is what you should strive for - you can now put all the 'cheatings' behind you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.