Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my BMI says that im anorexic but I eat healthy, exercise enough (maybe not enough) but still a BMI of about 17. I'm 16, 1.7m tall, and about 48.5kg and Male. Is this really unhealthy? it just dosen't make sense. I'm worried about my health. I have heard that unexpected weight loss can be a predisposition for some dieases but I have been this weight for years and haven't put any on. I'm quite sure that I don't have an eating disorder but I just don't feel hungry so I just don't eat as much as other people, but trust me, I LOVE food, I just can't eat a lot. please help.

ReputationRep:
    Your weight isn't "anorexic", it's underweight. If you're eating healthily then there's nothing to worry about, a lot of boys your age are skinny and gain weight as they grow a bit older. You've probably just got a fast metabolism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stenstorp)
    my BMI says that im anorexic but I eat healthy, exercise enough (maybe not enough) but still a BMI of about 17. I'm 16, 1.7m tall, and about 48.5kg and Male. Is this really unhealthy? it just dosen't make sense. I'm worried about my health. I have heard that unexpected weight loss can be a predisposition for some dieases but I have been this weight for years and haven't put any on. I'm quite sure that I don't have an eating disorder but I just don't feel hungry so I just don't eat as much as other people, but trust me, I LOVE food, I just can't eat a lot. please help.
    You don't have to have an eating disorder to be underweight. Your weight is a bit low, but it's not really severe. If there isn't something stopping you from getting enough nutrition (i.e. some other health reason), and you're not getting bad symptoms as a result of being underweight (i.e. do you have low energy levels a lot of the time?), then it's probably not something you need to worry about. You're still growing and will probably bulk up more in the next few years.

All that said, it probably would be a good idea for you to try and gain some weight if you can. Tips:
    - Eat little and often. Try and remember to have snacks or small meals every few hours, instead of only a couple of big meals a day.
    - Eat high-calorie foods. Use full-fat versions of things like milk and dairy, try and get a lot of protein because that helps weight gain. If you find yourself getting full easily, then don't 'waste' your stomach space on low-calorie things like lots of vegetables. Obviousl veg is important, but calories are you first requirement.
    - You might consider going to your GP. They could refer you to a dietician who can give you more detailed help with your diet. My GP prescribes me a calorie supplement because I'm underweight - that might be a possibility for you too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyxrose)
    Your weight isn't "anorexic", it's underweight. If you're eating healthily then there's nothing to worry about, a lot of boys your age are skinny and gain weight as they grow a bit older. You've probably just got a fast metabolism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually in a medical sense 'anorexic' means 'suffering from a poor appetite' (from whatever cause AFAIK), as opposed to 'anorexia nervosa', which is the eating disorder.

OP remember that BMI isn't the greatest for judging whether you're a healthy weight or not, especially when you're still growing. As has been said, if you're worried see your GP. They'll be better able to tell if your being a little underweight is a problem or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.