Free weights or selectorized machines? Which are better? Watch

mrhedgehog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just wan opinions on what everyone thinks. Which is better at targeting the correct muscle groups? Thanks
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personaly perfer free weights, due to the extra effort involved keeping the weight stable and maintaining that through the range of motion.

A machine takes that away, not necessarily making it easier imo, but probably working any stabilising muscles less if at all? (I could be wrong)

that being said there are some machines I do like, such as shoulder press machine, but thats largely down to my own form and motion on that excersise being bad, so I would use the machine to assist my own progression and development with that excersise.

then theres a preacher curl machine which I just enjoy for some reason, it feels more fail proof than a bar for me personally for that partiqular excersise.

but generally I perfer free weights,

theres arguements that free weights will provide better results (feel free to google) but generally I personaly think whatever gets you to your goal, in the safest and most efficient way is the best (for you), but I would make use of both.

Just remember that because machines allow you to utilize alot more weight, doesnt mean that you will be that strong without the machines assistance for example (smith machine bench press is usualy alot heavier than a barbell bench press.

obviously a good workout plan is a good place to start but I'd say experiement (assuming its safe to do so) and find what works for you/what you like best, personally I like using dumbells for most excersises but thats just me.

hope this helps.
Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Free weights are generally better. Compound exercises too.
cowsforsale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both have pros and cons - the important part is that you need to get stronger in a rep-range. In the end, it boils down to personal preference and goals.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just do both

Don't think too much and just lift
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the exercise INNIT BRO

both have their place
KingGym
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Machines for beginners.
Free weights once you got some strength.

Machines do basically everything for you which is just a lie when it comes to actually doing the exercise with free weights. Arm Curl 20kg with machine - you are not going to arm curl 20kg with free weights if max is 20kg with machines. This goes for EVERYTHING.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mrhedgehog)
I just wan opinions on what everyone thinks. Which is better at targeting the correct muscle groups? Thanks
Free weights are better because most people would not be able to bench/press what they can on a machine on free weights.

Not much in it though.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
personally free weights.

you work on stabilization.
mrhedgehog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zürich)
Free weights are better because most people would not be able to bench/press what they can on a machine on free weights.

Not much in it though.
Yeah I have been doing a mixture of both and I am sore as hell. However I feel as though when I bench press or dumbbell press my chest is not sore enough, is this normal at first?
KingGym
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I have been doing a mixture of both and I am sore as hell. However I feel as though when I bench press or dumbbell press my chest is not sore enough, is this normal at first?
Your form is terrible or the weight you are using is too light.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I first started I was sore all over the first few weeks but this should disappear so long as your form is spot on.

Soreness does not correlate to good training though. Your muscles should feel strained but not painful ideally.
KingGym
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
When I first started I was sore all over the first few weeks but this should disappear so long as your form is spot on.

Soreness does not correlate to good training though. Your muscles should feel strained but not painful ideally.

This guy has been going gym for what it seems 1 month if that (could be mistaken), so from that, his chest should experience pain.
mrhedgehog
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingGym)
This guy has been going gym for what it seems 1 month if that (could be mistaken), so from that, his chest should experience pain.
No I have only started 3 days ago. I have had 2 workouts so far.
KingGym
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I have only started 3 days ago. I have had 2 workouts so far.
So your chest should ache for the next 4-6months.
manu01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would recommend using machines to start of with and then when you build up your strength move to free weights.
Free weights improve your secondary/stabiliser muscles in your forearm. When I moved from machines to free weights I had to dramatically drop my curling weight just because I couldn't keep my arm still and controlled in the exercise.

I prefer free weights because they are considerably more flexible, you can do so many different exercises with just a set of dumbbells.

Regarding muscle groups, as long as you do the right exercises both machine and free weights will hit the right muscles. Concentrate on compound exercises such as dead lifts, benches, pull ups, chin ups and OHPs .
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both, I've personally seen no noticeable difference between bench/smith machine
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really depends one what your goals are. If you're training for strength, free weights and barbells all the way. Training for hypertrophy and aesthetics is a different ball game though. While in general it's good to use freeweights and compound movements, you may wish to target a specific muscle which may require isolation, which a machine can often help with. This is why you see bodybuilders doing just as many isolation movements as they do compounds - both are important for developing all over mass.

(Original post by KingGym)
Your form is terrible or the weight you are using is too light.
The first part might be a possibility. I disagree with the second part though. If we're assuming he's training to failure either way, a higher amount of reps to failure (with a lighter weight) will give you much better pumps and aching muscles the next day than a 5x5 routine.
dg2009
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Free weights,as it uses more muscle groups and it doesn't restrict your movement oh and use a squat rack not a smiths machine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads