Area around Brunel University Watch

justmagica-l
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the area around Brunel University is like? I am currently applying and i'd like some opinions :-)
EilLudwig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, although i don't live there but what i heard from Brunel university representative is that all the campus are located near to one another (business, science, engineering etc faculty all in one area as compared to other universities that have different campus location for different course) so there are like 15,000 students for you to mix around with. It is generally inexpensive to live there as it is outside of London (45 minutes train ride to London). An studio monthly rent cost around 3xx-4xx pounds. If you like night life, you will prolly like there cause the representative keeps emphasizing on the great night life at London hahaha. Hope it helps!
justmagica-l
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by EilLudwig)
Hi, although i don't live there but what i heard from Brunel university representative is that all the campus are located near to one another (business, science, engineering etc faculty all in one area as compared to other universities that have different campus location for different course) so there are like 15,000 students for you to mix around with. It is generally inexpensive to live there as it is outside of London (45 minutes train ride to London). An studio monthly rent cost around 3xx-4xx pounds. If you like night life, you will prolly like there cause the representative keeps emphasizing on the great night life at London hahaha. Hope it helps!
Thankyou! This did help :-)
leonardo10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i go to brunel and i hate the location of the university, uxbridge is extremly boring with nothing to do during the day. the weekends are awful and the uni is totally empty due to the fact that students go home during the weekend. Nightlife is pretty crap during the weekend as you only see old people there, plus they have only one nightclub in the city centre so if that one is crap you have to stick with it. It is indeed 45-1hr away from central london, but bear in mind it will be an expensive night out and the truth is you cannot be travelling there all the time, because sometimes your friends wouldn't want to so you cant really go on your own. So really really think about your decision, as for me i regret coming here. student experience sucks, but the education is good.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by justmagica-l)
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the area around Brunel University is like? I am currently applying and i'd like some opinions :-)
the area around Brunel itself is fairly quiet- immediatlely outside the campus is residential, you do have Uxbridge town centre 5-10 minutes away on the bus which has two shopping centres with all the usual shops, a cinema and pubs. Can't comment on clubs as I've not been out in Uxbridge. Basically its your typical suburban town centre. Baker Street is 40 mins on the tube from Uxbridge Station or Paddington is 25 mins on the overground from West Drayton Station (a 10- 15 minute ish bus ride away from campus)
und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Uxbridge I do find boring and the uni is not that close to the town. I may just hate the area because I live about 10 miles away but the location was definitely offputting.
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by leonardo10)
i go to brunel and i hate the location of the university, uxbridge is extremly boring with nothing to do during the day. the weekends are awful and the uni is totally empty due to the fact that students go home during the weekend. Nightlife is pretty crap during the weekend as you only see old people there, plus they have only one nightclub in the city centre so if that one is crap you have to stick with it. It is indeed 45-1hr away from central london, but bear in mind it will be an expensive night out and the truth is you cannot be travelling there all the time, because sometimes your friends wouldn't want to so you cant really go on your own. So really really think about your decision, as for me i regret coming here. student experience sucks, but the education is good.
It's not ALL about education though. I feel for you because I know how boring it is there. My town's alright, we have a uni of westminster campus there and it's much better situated than brunel with better nightlife. Middlesex as a county and the universities there are just crap places to live as a student
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by und3niable_)
It's not ALL about education though. I feel for you because I know how boring it is there. My town's alright, we have a uni of westminster campus there and it's much better situated than brunel with better nightlife. Middlesex as a county and the universities there are just crap places to live as a student
Do you mean Harrow by any chance?
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Do you mean Harrow by any chance?
Indeed, I live back in the town centre..don't tell me you're from there too AND go to UEA?

What are the chances ha..
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Indeed, I live back in the town centre..don't tell me you're from there too AND go to UEA?

What are the chances ha..
Yes lol when I'm at my Mums. How are you finding UEA/Norwich?
alvlstudentt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Uxbridge is a **** hole. No word of a lie, a few years back I witnessed two teen age girls fighting in the town centre. They were both ripping each other's clothes off- literally by the end they were both in their underwear.

The chimes- their shopping centre is a bit run down, I can't imagine there's much to do in the evenings.

Then there's the type of student that goes there, literally full of badmen.
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes lol when I'm at my Mums. How are you finding UEA/Norwich?
I love it..Norwich is SO much better for leisure and fitness so cheap to do most things although I wish we were like a mile closer to town 'cause town is good as well!
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alvlstudentt)
Uxbridge is a **** hole. No word of a lie, a few years back I witnessed two teen age girls fighting in the town centre. They were both ripping each other's clothes off- literally by the end they were both in their underwear.

The chimes- their shopping centre is a bit run down, I can't imagine there's much to do in the evenings.

Then there's the type of student that goes there, literally full of badmen.
Shows how long you haven't been there...it's intu. And you get "Badmen" everywhere. There's a alot of sporty, business minded and engineering individuals there.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love it..Norwich is SO much better for leisure and fitness so cheap to do most things although I wish we were like a mile closer to town 'cause town is good as well!
good good. tbh i dont mind being 3 miles from the city (i still live near the uni atm) considering that im a lot further away at home.
nagapies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in Harrow which is close to Uxbridge, the whole area is pretty boring and quite chavvy
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
good good. tbh i dont mind being 3 miles from the city (i still live near the uni atm) considering that im a lot further away at home.
But it's quite urban in general where we live. Here it's like city, then bam bit more rural as soon as you go a little out of zone one

(Original post by nagapies)
I live in Harrow which is close to Uxbridge, the whole area is pretty boring and quite chavvy
Depends where you live in Harrow; I wouldn't call Pinner or Harrow on the Hill 'Chavvy'.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But it's quite urban in general where we live. Here it's like city, then bam bit more rural as soon as you go a little out of zone one

Depends where you live in Harrow; I wouldn't call Pinner or Harrow on the Hill 'Chavvy'.
I think the OP meant Uxbridge is Chavy
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

true but harrow doesn't have everything id want so i do go into london a bit. and i have to be careful what time i leave because there are no night buses or tubes to my part of harrow and the taxi is too expensive to do as more than a one off on my own. where as here the buses run late & im usually out with my housemates so we can split the fare between us
alvlstudentt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Shows how long you haven't been there...it's intu. And you get "Badmen" everywhere. There's a alot of sporty, business minded and engineering individuals there.
I studied at UCL, I've been to LSE and Imperial hundreds of times as well as Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff and not once did I see badmen.

Stop defending Brunel, it is a terrible institution!
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
true but harrow doesn't have everything id want so i do go into london a bit. and i have to be careful what time i leave because there are no night buses or tubes to my part of harrow and the taxi is too expensive to do as more than a one off on my own. where as here the buses run late & im usually out with my housemates so we can split the fare between us
Oh yeah tell me about it. £30 for a taxi back from watford on a night out! Wish London would have more nightbuses. But your problem will be no longer with 24 Hr tube in approx 15 months
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (384)
31.09%
The paper was reasonable (485)
39.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (214)
17.33%
It was TERRIBLE (152)
12.31%

Watched Threads