Found this article this I feel adds more meat to the bones

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...elaxed-reforms

Posted from TSR Mobile
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll only be happy when China repudiates the CCP and becomes democratic. The way things are going now, I hope that Chinese economic power does not ever translate into political or (especially) military power.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why is this in 'current affairs' Not everywhere had the policy in the first place, I believe some places had a 2 child policy and in rural areas they didn't bother enforcing it at all. And in the places that did have it, they soon realised that it wasn't a good way to deal with their population as they now have waayyyy too many older males.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
A step in the right direction
kendellex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
Why is this in 'current affairs' Not everywhere had the policy in the first place, I believe some places had a 2 child policy and in rural areas they didn't bother enforcing it at all. And in the places that did have it, they soon realised that it wasn't a good way to deal with their population as they now have waayyyy too many older males.
I agree. The one child policy was only really implemented in urban areas where it wasn't necessary to have a son. Yes, the population is still male heavy. Something around 110 males for every 100 females. In rural areas they relaxed the law to two children or more as sons were desired to inherit the land, so females were often disregarded. The problem now is will China's population steady or increase rapidly and possibly end in a Malthusian catastrophe? Who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kendellex)
I agree. The one child policy was only really implemented in urban areas where it wasn't necessary to have a son. Yes, the population is still male heavy. Something around 110 males for every 100 females. In rural areas they relaxed the law to two children or more as sons were desired to inherit the land, so females were often disregarded. The problem now is will China's population steady or increase rapidly and possibly end in a Malthusian catastrophe? Who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the damage has already been done. Over hundreds of years, even a small change in population growth/decline will make a difference in the millions/billions over the whole world, so it's probably lucky that its only happening in one country. Although its not the only country to attempt to control population growth.
cb307
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miss Murdoch would be proud Kendelle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem now is will China's population steady or increase rapidly and possibly end in a Malthusian catastrophe? Who knows?
It's been shown that education and development decreases a population naturally (in India I think - can't find the link - but most developed countries have stable populations), because parents make a conscious decision to have an economically viable family (2 or so children), know about contraception, know about their rights, and then there are plenty who choose to have one or none.

However, the 'son' thing complicates that slightly, so I don't know. If we totally ignore human rights issues and forced abortions etc, then a two child policy ought to decrease the population. Or a 'reach a son then stop' policy (mathematically I believe the expected number of children is very close to two, so the genders should end up fairly equal). I'm not really advising the latter though, as it institutionalises outdated inheritance issues, I just like how it nearly works.
kendellex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
I think the damage has already been done. Over hundreds of years, even a small change in population growth/decline will make a difference in the millions/billions over the whole world, so it's probably lucky that its only happening in one country. Although its not the only country to attempt to control population growth.
I understand. China's population grows by about 9.3 million a year. Without the policy it could reach 18.6 or even 27.9 million a year (and that's just with a family of 3 - a common family size in many countries). China is such a huge country that even small growth is huge is terms of world population. Some may argue that the increase in population in China can balance out with natural decrease in countries such as Germany and Italy whose birth rate is way below replacement level and are currently in Stage 5 of the Demographic Transition Model. But such a huge increase will put huge strain on already stretched resources. How do we deal with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
kendellex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cb307)
Miss Murdoch would be proud Kendelle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't she just?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr_Vain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
I'll only be happy when China repudiates the CCP and becomes democratic. The way things are going now, I hope that Chinese economic power does not ever translate into political or (especially) military power.
Yawn, so, how does it feel being a Zionist rag reciter?
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Vain)
Yawn, so, how does it feel being a Zionist rag reciter?
I don't know where you got the idea that I was a Zionist. I've made it clear in fact, on this site, that I'm not.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Given that the Chinese birth rate is down to 1.2 this is urgently needed in order to cover the increasing welfare commitments China will have for its old.

With that said as people get richer the desire for more children generally decreases so it may too late to successfully circumvent the coming population collapse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.72%
The paper was reasonable (441)
45.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.12%

Watched Threads