Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel like a disabled giraffe with a deep inner ear infecfion whenever I try. I feel retarded in the gym when I step into the squat rack.

I just end up doing some dumbbell squats as I can do them without feeling like I'm about to fall over backwards, and my legs seem to bend really weirdly with a barbell on my shoulders as opposed to holding some dumbbells.

I try with an empty barbell and it still feels awkward and unnatural.

I'd love to just drop them from my routine but apparently squats are like the best exercise, and everyone should be doing them...

Any tips for not appearing to have some sort of balance deficiency?

ReputationRep:
    im not sure how accurate this is, atleast its how I do it/have been told to do it, squats are one of them controversial subjects I guess lol.

Anyway I make sure the bar is on the lower part of the back of my neck, resting on the fleshy part of the upper back/shoulders at the top

I keep my head up and looking forward, back straight, shoulders back and chest up, also I dont hold the bar tight, I just keep my hands there to hold it in place really to avoid any kind of arm effort but thats just me.

keep feet shoulder width apart, I have them slightly turned out as apposed straight forward, so kinda like 11'oclock and 1'o clock

rather than dipping straight down, I keep my shoulders back and chest up and sorta push my hips back I guess like im about to plant my bum on an imaginairy seat, all while maintaining straight back, up chest head up and looking forward, bending at the legs without driving the knees too far forward or out side to side.

I find focusing on the spot I started looking at helps me maintain this, dunno why, I wait till my legs are just below parrallel though this is a controversial issue some will say below, above and some say go right down deep, but thats upto you really,

once I reach just below paralel (so the top of my thigh is starting to be below level with the knee) I then push from the ground with my feet as if I was trying to force the ground further down with them and I bring my hips forward while driving my chest up, keeping shoulders back and head and back in same position. until im standing up straight again.

then I repeat,

agian thats just how ive been lead to believe its done/been taught, if in doubt ask a member of staff at the gym i.e one of the trainers. alternatively you could watch vids on youtube, or even video urself and ask for critique on the net.

ReputationRep:
    Stick out that butt.

If you feel like you are falling backwards you are probably not leaning forwards enough because your butt is too far forwards. The motion of getting up from a low chair or stool and back is what you want. Your knees should remain in more or less the same place and not rock forwards and back.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has their biases - people who squat will preach to you that you need to squat.

No one exercise is invaluable. Just do the leg press instead if you prefer - learning to squat takes time, interest and patience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveBlade)
    I feel like a disabled giraffe with a deep inner ear infecfion whenever I try. I feel retarded in the gym when I step into the squat rack.

I just end up doing some dumbbell squats as I can do them without feeling like I'm about to fall over backwards, and my legs seem to bend really weirdly with a barbell on my shoulders as opposed to holding some dumbbells.

I try with an empty barbell and it still feels awkward and unnatural.

I'd love to just drop them from my routine but apparently squats are like the best exercise, and everyone should be doing them...

Any tips for not appearing to have some sort of balance deficiency?
    Do you actually have an ear problem, or do you just feel like it?

Personally it took me ages to be 'happy' with my form, several months probably, but I'm glad I stuck with them. Once I got it into my head that the problem was me not the exercise, it was good for perseverance.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you have mobility issues with regards to you hip knees and ankles. if you can ask someone to talk you through the squat and suggest where you are going wrong but also what you are doing right.

ROFL at disabled giraffe

ReputationRep:
    Squats are a very good exercise. They stimulate growth throughout the entire body due to the sheer overload of stress put upon it. That being said, as long as you include straight leg deadlift and other fundamental compound exercises such as bench press, you should be able to get by without it. Make sure to use the squat machine in place of it though.

You could also try sumo squats? Though I find them more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZSA4P0TZnc#t=81

Just saw, thought you may enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    My new routine includes squats however today I went for leg press and added straight leg deadlifts. I'll keep working on my form for squats though. Really want to be able to do and progress with them.

Cheers for the advice.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.