Turn on thread page Beta

I saw my GP because I had been struggling to cope with life. My GP emailed my psychiatrist about medication and I saw my GP the next day and she mentioned to me that I had bipolar so I could have no antidepressants. I had NO knowledge of this and all my GP gave me was a word, with no explanation other than an awkward silence when she realised I didn't know.

I've seen my psychiatrist for a year and he said that currently we are 'just talking' whereas before we were looking at my 'life history'. I asked about diagnosis and he just said it wasn't helpful. I asked for my records in February and I heard no response.

I have requested my mental health records from my psychiatrist's secretary and I explained that I have been told by a third party that I had been diagnosed and what it was. I also mentioned I was willing to get a solicitor and to make an official complaint in the NHS (which I am).

Do you think I have a good chance of getting my notes? I am so upset and confused right now and I'm so distressed I fail to see how they can't explain things to me now. I have no idea what is wrong with me and I want some answers.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the only reason they can withhold your notes are if it would be damaging to you to see them. I requested my complete medical records and had no trouble getting them. You may have to pay however, anything between 10 and 50pounds.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is possible, I've requested complete copies of my medical records, multiple times, that were held by my:
    GP
    Pscyhiatrist
    Psychologist
    Neurologist

Forward on a SAR (Subject Access Request) to your Psych and your GP asking for the release of any and all information concerning yourself, they have 40 days to do so. Though to be honest, if they were hesitant to do so they could, in theory, withhold sending you information they don't want you to see and you'd be none the wiser unless a reliable 3rd party could confirm what information was held on yourself.

Google/Read up on making a SAR, there will templates available online.

edit: I've done a bit for you, this is a good website and comes with a detailed template.

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public..._guides/health

Though there are some things in your post that confuse me:

1) I saw my GP the next day and she mentioned to me that I had bipolar so I could have no antidepressants.
    - 'Antidepressants' (no such thing) but I assume you're talking SSRI/SNRI/TCA's etc... are sometimes used in bipolar so I've no idea why you would be refused access to 'antidepressants'

2) I had NO knowledge of this and all my GP gave me was a word, with no explanation other than an awkward silence when she realised I didn't know.- No knowledge of what? The diagnosis of bipolar disorder? What do you mean by all your GP gave you was a word with no explanation?
    - Who made the diagnosis? Your GP or your Psych?
    - Are you seeing the Psych on the NHS or privately?

I'm just a tad confused about your post... Might be that you're just a little wound up and haven't explained yourself properly because you wanted to get it all out - which is forgivable!

Let me know if there's any other questions you have and I'll see if I can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobster)
    1) I saw my GP the next day and she mentioned to me that I had bipolar so I could have no antidepressants.
    - 'Antidepressants' (no such thing) but I assume you're talking SSRI/SNRI/TCA's etc... are sometimes used in bipolar so I've no idea why you would be refused access to 'antidepressants
    Sometimes antidepressants can cause bipolar people to go manic. I assume that's why OP was told he couldn't have them.

(Original post by Scoobster)
    Yes it is possible, I've requested complete copies of my medical records, multiple times, that were held by my:
    GP
    Pscyhiatrist
    Psychologist
    Neurologist

Forward on a SAR (Subject Access Request) to your Psych and your GP asking for the release of any and all information concerning yourself, they have 40 days to do so. Though to be honest, they can withhold sending you information they don't want to and you'd be none the wiser unless it a reliable 3rd party could confirm what information was held on yourself.

Google/Read up on making a SAR, there will templates available online.

Though there are some things in your post that confuse me:

- 'Antidepressants' (no such thing) but I assume you're talking SSRI/SNRI/TCA's etc... are sometimes used in bipolar so I've no idea why you would be refused access to 'antidepressants'

2) I had NO knowledge of this and all my GP gave me was a word, with no explanation other than an awkward silence when she realised I didn't know.- No knowledge of what? The diagnosis of bipolar disorder? What do you mean by all your GP gave you was a word with no explanation?
    - Who made the diagnosis? Your GP or your Psych?
    - Are you seeing the Psych on the NHS or privately?

I'm just a tad confused about your post... Might be that you're just a little wound up and haven't explained yourself properly because you wanted to get it all out - which is forgivable!

Let me know if there's any other questions you have and I'll see if I can help
    My psychiatrist won't allow to go on escitalopram, which is what I asked my GP for. This could be for many reasons, the last time I went on an SSRI I had a psychotic episode and almost had to be sectioned. I also have a history of overdosing on medication and I went to my GP feeling suicidal.

My GP found out about the diagnosis from my psychiatrist when she emailed him. I have been seeing my psychiatrist once a week for almost a year now.

I didn't even know I had a diagnosis and all she said was that I have bipolar and the medication I was asking for was too risky at this stage. She didn't tell me what type of bipolar I had or anything. All she did was use the word. I see the psychiatrist on the NHS but he is the consultant psychiatrist for my university (if that makes sense?).

Thanks for the other info. I have already formally requested my records, I was wondering whether I have a good chance of getting them now the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

Does anyone know whether they'll be likely to give me my records?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.