Should I stick it out, or....? Watch

Loka_94
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically, I managed to get my first ever job about 2 months ago.
I was initially thrilled (as I'm 19 going on 20, with no experience...the job search was bloody difficult ), however, since then I've gotten generally more frustrated.

I'm currently at Uni, full-time, and my contracted hours are 15 a week.
However, since my 2nd week, I had been given upwards of 20 hours; one time hitting the 32 hour mark.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, especially after how long took me to finally land a job, but to put it bluntly....I hate it.

The people there are generally nice (although I don't really *click* with them), and the pay's pretty good for my first job ever (6.31 p/h), but aside from that...there's not much else. I tried to compromise, and do say...20 hours a week instead. My manager agreed after we had a talk, and everything was fine.....for about a week.
Since then the hours have been steadily rising back up and I'm almost at breaking point (even though that does seem pathetic).

I'm tempted to go back into work and just say to stick with the hours on my contract...because I'd rather do 15 and ensure that my Uni work doesn't suffer.

Right now I'm thinking of looking for another job (preferably in a supermarket or something), just because it seems less stressful. But 2-3 months doesn't look particularly great on a CV (especially when that's all the experience I've got :/)

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm really asking for here....I just needed to rant (a little ), but if anyone wants to offer up some advice, I'm all ears.

*If anyone cares to know, I work at Burger King*
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used to work on a zero hours contract (NEVER accept one of these - if they still exist - my god they are awful) and told my manager directly and on several occasions that I could only work one day a week due to my uni commitments and volunteer work that I was doing at the time, and they said it was fine, but every now and then they used to sneak full day 9-6 shifts onto my rota without telling me which got increasingly common, so I just took a pen and ruled them out writing them a note on it saying I can't do it. They soon got the message and stuck to the one day a week we agreed, but complained that I was supposed to be there when I did go to work - if they want the staff, they should 1. scrap zero hour contracts and actually show their staff some commitment and 2. hire more people, there sure is a lot of people who need work in retail right now!

You can't let them take the mick - if you're only contracted to do 15 hours, you don't have to do any more than that, so have a polite word with your manager first and if they emotionally blackmail you into doing more hours like they tried with me stick to your guns and say your uni work takes first priority, not a part-time job. They knew what they were getting themselves in for when they hired you as I'm guessing you told them you were a full-time uni student, so it's up to them to work around that now. Good luck!
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is the life story of everyone in my family. Spend years unemployed and desperate to get a job, get one and hate it. That's why I'm not desperate to get any job but a job that I actually like.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just firmly tell the manager that you are not prepared to do any more than 15 hours per week, and whilst you appreciate the compliment being given when they offer you more hours, you neither want nor need the hours so they should be given to someone else instead.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Loka_94)
Basically, I managed to get my first ever job about 2 months ago.
I was initially thrilled (as I'm 19 going on 20, with no experience...the job search was bloody difficult ), however, since then I've gotten generally more frustrated.

I'm currently at Uni, full-time, and my contracted hours are 15 a week.
However, since my 2nd week, I had been given upwards of 20 hours; one time hitting the 32 hour mark.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, especially after how long took me to finally land a job, but to put it bluntly....I hate it.

The people there are generally nice (although I don't really *click* with them), and the pay's pretty good for my first job ever (6.31 p/h), but aside from that...there's not much else. I tried to compromise, and do say...20 hours a week instead. My manager agreed after we had a talk, and everything was fine.....for about a week.
Since then the hours have been steadily rising back up and I'm almost at breaking point (even though that does seem pathetic).

I'm tempted to go back into work and just say to stick with the hours on my contract...because I'd rather do 15 and ensure that my Uni work doesn't suffer.

Right now I'm thinking of looking for another job (preferably in a supermarket or something), just because it seems less stressful. But 2-3 months doesn't look particularly great on a CV (especially when that's all the experience I've got :/)

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm really asking for here....I just needed to rant (a little ), but if anyone wants to offer up some advice, I'm all ears.

*If anyone cares to know, I work at Burger King*
Personally i would suck it up OP.

So long as you can get your coursework/exams done for this semester then just pack the hours in now because they will collapse after Christmas.
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
I used to work on a zero hours contract (NEVER accept one of these - if they still exist - my god they are awful) and told my manager directly and on several occasions that I could only work one day a week due to my uni commitments and volunteer work that I was doing at the time, and they said it was fine, but every now and then they used to sneak full day 9-6 shifts onto my rota without telling me which got increasingly common, so I just took a pen and ruled them out writing them a note on it saying I can't do it. They soon got the message and stuck to the one day a week we agreed, but complained that I was supposed to be there when I did go to work - if they want the staff, they should 1. scrap zero hour contracts and actually show their staff some commitment and 2. hire more people, there sure is a lot of people who need work in retail right now!

You can't let them take the mick - if you're only contracted to do 15 hours, you don't have to do any more than that, so have a polite word with your manager first and if they emotionally blackmail you into doing more hours like they tried with me stick to your guns and say your uni work takes first priority, not a part-time job. They knew what they were getting themselves in for when they hired you as I'm guessing you told them you were a full-time uni student, so it's up to them to work around that now. Good luck!
Sadly zero hour contracts still exist, as I'm on one myself, didn't realize until after I took the job..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.93%
The paper was reasonable (600)
38.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.49%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed