Is landlord liable for electricity meter? Watch

Normandy114
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My question is basically, if an electricity meter breaks and the tenant is away during that period, therefore using no electricity and unable to know of a broken meter, is the landlord liable for the (vastly over) estimated electricity bill, since they failed to fix it?

I was away from my flat at university for about 1.5 months over summer, pretty much the same period as the utilities bills were. The problem is that during this time, the electricity meter broke, and because of this the bill I was given used estimated rates rather than PAYG, charging me £60 for about 260 units of electricity, whereas I was billed correctly for gas, charging me about £0.40 for one unit used. I tried to discuss it with the advisors at the electric company, however although they understood the problem and could see that given the low gas bill no-one was home, understandably since the meter is broken they have to assume it was used at a standard rate. What I'm wondering is, since the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the flat, including fittings such as the utility meters, would they be liable for footing the electricity bill, since this is down to their faulty maintenance of the property?
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usually they will have a notification requirement in their handbook, did you inform your landlord you'd be away for so long?
Normandy114
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Usually they will have a notification requirement in their handbook, did you inform your landlord you'd be away for so long?
Not seen anything like that in the handbook, but we hadn't told them formally. They knew we were coming up to university for a couple days in the middle of summer just to pick up the keys when we officially moved in and wouldn't be moving in properly for a few weeks, but we hadn't told them in writing or anything.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tell the electricity supplier to prove your consumption.
If they can't tell them you'll see them in court.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads