Turn on thread page Beta

AS french - i can't do it anymore. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I feel like giving up in AS level french, i hate it so much to the extent where i don't want to go to the lessons anymore.
    All i can do is cry because i obviously regret choosing it. The college won't let me change it because it's too late even though i asked them if could do so a few days after the final day.

In lessons, i'm so bad at being social - so i'm always on my own.
    Then there's essay writing nightmare which i really can't cope with.

Help??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    I feel like giving up in AS level french, i hate it so much to the extent where i don't want to go to the lessons anymore.
    All i can do is cry because i obviously regret choosing it. The college won't let me change it because it's too late even though i asked them if could do so a few days after the final day.

Help??
    Would you not consider just dropping it? Most universities do not ask for a fourth AS and it'll only put further stress on you! I felt like this about chemistry, stuck with it and didn't try, and I got an E. I'd rather have only 3 AS levels than a fourth at an E grade, it's frustrating. If you're very unhappy then I see no other option

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Help??
    I was exactly like this with AS French last year, and I'm not gonna lie it was hell (especially the grammar) but I stuck with it and worked my ass off and ending up getting an A. I think it's worth the persistence cos it is really useful, and it's regarded highly by universities as one of the hardest A levels.
    I don't know what you want to do regarding higher education but unis often regard you more highly if you've done 4 AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Help??
    man it sucks that they wont let you change it, you can always ask for help on TSR and stop procrastinating with French essays and stuff lol
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I had this as well. Ended up losing steam for it and got a D in it. The only reason I actually continued was that my so-called "insurance" choice required a B in it.

So if you're not enjoying it anymore then you can drop it

ReputationRep:
    Drop it and focus on getting the aaa/aab for your AS levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just because you've got no mates in a lesson doesn't mean you should drop it. work on the essay writing.

learning another language is a great skill that will set you apart from others. keep it as a 4th subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_kate)
    I was exactly like this with AS French last year, and I'm not gonna lie it was hell (especially the grammar) but I stuck with it and worked my ass off and ending up getting an A. I think it's worth the persistence cos it is really useful, and it's regarded highly by universities as one of the hardest A levels.
    I don't know what you want to do regarding higher education but unis often regard you more highly if you've done 4 AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This motivates me a lot.

I've decided i'm not going to drop it because all the unis i will apply for want a 4th AS.
    So now i just need the motivation to work my socks off and hopefully get an A.

Did you feel that the easier the subject became for you, the more you enjoyed doing it??

ReputationRep:
    This motivates me a lot.

I've decided i'm not going to drop it because all the unis i will apply for want a 4th AS.
    So now i just need the motivation to work my socks off and hopefully get an A.

Did you feel that the easier the subject became for you, the more you enjoyed doing it??
    Yeah and I also found out of all my subjects last year it was my most rewarding subject because I progressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got a C grade overall in A Level ... currently on track for a 2:1 in the subject at uni. It can be done - just stick in there!

The best part is definitely the year abroad by far! Currently about to start my 3rd month of it

ReputationRep:
    Did you take it for GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    The exact same thing happened to me last year. I understand how you feel, however, I persisted and kept working and working at it. I came out with an A at AS, and I've already got offers to study French at university. Keep at it! It does get better! It will also look so much better for university applications having a fourth AS. Once you start achieving good grades in French, you'll love it. I promise! It's so rewarding! If you need any tips or advice, I'm here to help

ReputationRep:
    I despised AS French. I was at A/B level all year and got a C (alongside 3 As). Drop it.

(Original post by llamaspoon)
    The exact same thing happened to me last year. I understand how you feel, however, I persisted and kept working and working at it. I came out with an A at AS, and I've already got offers to study French at university. Keep at it! It does get better! It will also look so much better for university applications having a fourth AS. Once you start achieving good grades in French, you'll love it. I promise! It's so rewarding! If you need any tips or advice, I'm here to help

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this whatsoever. If you're studying French at uni you obviously enjoyed it, and it doesn't get better if you don't like the subject no matter how good you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ross95)

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this whatsoever. If you're studying French at uni you obviously enjoyed it, and it doesn't get better if you don't like the subject no matter how good you are.
    With languages (at least in my view) people often don't like them because they find them difficult. I was in the same situation as OP last year, finding French so difficult and not enjoying it. However, one day, I just kinda got it. From that day, I liked it so much more and it was so more rewarding getting things right. Maybe this isn't the case for you, but it certainly was for me. At this point last year, I was planning to drop French at the end of Year 12. My outlook has obviously completely changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamaspoon)
    With languages (at least in my view) people often don't like them because they find them difficult. I was in the same situation as OP last year, finding French so difficult and not enjoying it. However, one day, I just kinda got it. From that day, I liked it so much more and it was so more rewarding getting things right. Maybe this isn't the case for you, but it certainly was for me. At this point last year, I was planning to drop French at the end of Year 12. My outlook has obviously completely changed.
    Maybe I just can't get over the grief of my C ruining my academic record when I was A/B standard

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I just can't get over the grief of my C ruining my academic record when I was A/B standard
    To be fair getting a C isn't exactly something to cry about, and it's kinda rude to say that when people on these forums will be aiming for a C

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be fair getting a C isn't exactly something to cry about, and it's kinda rude to say that when people on these forums will be aiming for a C

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it is if you're capable of getting an A...

That's like saying someone aiming for a C shouldn't be sad if they got an E.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is if you're capable of getting an A...

That's like saying someone aiming for a C shouldn't be sad if they got an E.
    I was more referring to the fact you think a C 'ruins [your] academic record'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was more referring to the fact you think a C 'ruins [your] academic record'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, maybe it does. A C would most definitely ruin my academic record, no question.

ReputationRep:
    To OP: Hang in there with French. I did the AS, and last year around this time it was was horrendous. I had tons of homework and vocab and bloody grammar rules like PDO that I had to learn and the essays were something else... I think French turns out to be so much harder because it's such a massive jump from the GCSE in terms of skills required. Suddenly you have to be able to speak unprompted about a topic without prior preparation. Suddenly you have to be able to write lengthy essays on topics you haven't quite grasped.
    These skills won't come overnight. It's early days, and you will get them if you persevere with the course.
    I don't know when it happened, but eventually everything started clicking for me and falling into place. It happened for everyone in my class (except one person, but hey ho, can't please everyone).
    So, French can be hard. But it is such a rewarding subject that teaches you so much. And though it isn't always a barrel of laughs (oral, I'm looking at you) most of the time I found French to be an enjoyable yet challenging subject. So much so that I took it this year for A2! :L

P.S. Mot a Mot is a really good vocab book that saved my life, it is full of wonderful sparkly A grade vocab that will make your teachers cry with happiness

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.