Turn on thread page Beta

Help 99 Ford KA3 vs 01 Fiat punto watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

i'm in a dilemnia figuring out which car i should get, the choses are out of a V reg, 1999 ford ka 3, black with leather seats, for £1700. 51 miles (but an HPI check says it should be about 65,000), 1 recorded service history in 2001.
    The HPI check has no info on whether it is stolen, high risk, additional dvla, finace, plate change, keeper change, colour change. Not sure how many owners. there was also 10 previous vehicle searches. 12 months MOT, NO tax... not been taxed since feb 06

Or

51 plate, fiat punto, for £1600 76,000 miles, HPI check is sound. 6 months MOT, no tax (as last owner took it with them). 1 lady owner from new. Loads of service history.

What do you guys think? Im a girl and a student so looking for something cheap to run, reliable not looking for a performace car... obviviously :p: but would like to know which you think sounds better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me_me_me)
    Hey,

i'm in a dilemnia figuring out which car i should get, the choses are out of a V reg, 1999 ford ka 3, black with leather seats, for £1700. 51 miles (but an HPI check says it should be about 65,000), 1 recorded service history in 2001.
    The HPI check has no info on whether it is stolen, high risk, additional dvla, finace, plate change, keeper change, colour change. Not sure how many owners. there was also 10 previous vehicle searches. 12 months MOT, NO tax... not been taxed since feb 06

Or

51 plate, fiat punto, for £1600 76,000 miles, HPI check is sound. 6 months MOT, no tax (as last owner took it with them). 1 lady owner from new. Loads of service history.

What do you guys think? Im a girl and a student so looking for something cheap to run, reliable not looking for a performace car... obviviously :p: but would like to know which you think sounds better
    Erm, you sure it doesnt mean 51 miles away? No car would have that low mileage on, even delivery miles probably equate to more than that! If it is the case i would steer well clear of that one, looks dodgy to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lofty)
    Erm, you sure it doesnt mean 51 miles away? No car would have that low mileage on, even delivery miles probably equate to more than that! If it is the case i would steer well clear of that one, looks dodgy to me.
    51,000 miles sorry

ReputationRep:
    Punto, 1.6k is nothing, it sounds well looked after and dosen't sound dodgey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Punto, 1.6k is nothing, it sounds well looked after and dosen't sound dodgey
    the punto has done £76,000 miles. and the ka has leather seats :p: still not sure. the ford ka made a bit of a noise when i started was wondering whether it was b/c its a ka3 and the exhaust is much bigger???

ReputationRep:
    AT82 is the person to ask about puntos, but when I was looking for a car, I was looking at puntos and dad said no because the newer ones aren't particularly great when they've done a large mileage. No idea what he's got to back that up with though.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of noise? Good noise or bad noise?

Personally I'd steer clear of the Ka - it sounds like you're already uncertain about it, and the HPI check sounds a bit dodgy as well - 10 previous searches!? Sounds like a lot of people have looked into buying it and walked away already...?

ReputationRep:
    That Ka sounds WELL Dodgey! I mean it. I'd avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid that Ka like the plaque far too many things sound iffy with it.

Newer Puntos are fine, but get the smaller simpler ones. ELX MK2s should give little trouble if serviced. Head gaskets can blow if driven hard, but its a fairly easy fix on the Punto.

The Punto is also a better car than the Ka as the Ka essentialy dates back o the 1976 Fiesta MK1 and the 1.3 pushrod unit shows that, where the Punto MK2 is a much newer design (the MK1 Puntos share a lot with the Uno).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply guys... why do you say the ka sounds dodgey? I was thinking the same thing about the searches 3 were for insurers, 4 = motor trade & other, and 3 for the auction. however most were in 2006 (so i guess when trying to sell). the ones from before 2006 were 2 for insurance in 2003 and one from motor trade & other in 2001 ---> this sounds a little weird as the car was manufactured in 1999.

does the auction search also seem quite dodgy i.e. perhaps means the car is unworthy?

one last thing :p: , do you think the punto is a reasonable price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Avoid that Ka like the plaque far too many things sound iffy with it.

Newer Puntos are fine, but get the smaller simpler ones. ELX MK2s should give little trouble if serviced. Head gaskets can blow if driven hard, but its a fairly easy fix on the Punto.

The Punto is also a better car than the Ka as the Ka essentialy dates back o the 1976 Fiesta MK1 and the 1.3 pushrod unit shows that, where the Punto MK2 is a much newer design (the MK1 Puntos share a lot with the Uno).

The punto in question is a 2001, punto mia, i know they are pretty basic, but is this the sort you are on about?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    That sounds about the right price for a 51 reg punto if it has done 76,000 miles. At least, it certainly isn't overpriced in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply guys... why do you say the ka sounds dodgey? I was thinking the same thing about the searches 3 were for insurers, 4 = motor trade & other, and 3 for the auction. however most were in 2006 (so i guess when trying to sell). the ones from before 2006 were 2 for insurance in 2003 and one from motor trade & other in 2001 ---> this sounds a little weird as the car was manufactured in 1999.

does the auction search also seem quite dodgy i.e. perhaps means the car is unworthy?

one last thing :p: , do you think the punto is a reasonable price?
    All the things you've said are classics to avoid, thats why everyone has this opinion.

I think that price isn't too bad! Providing its a good car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    What kind of noise? Good noise or bad noise?
    the noise was like i was revving the car a little bit, but not particularly noisy. But can't noisy compared to my bf's car is completely silent you can't hear a thing, but he does drive an 04 audi so its probably unwise to compare the two
    there was no smoke coming out of the exhaust though

ReputationRep:
    It sounded like you were revving it when you wern't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    It sounded like you were revving it when you wern't?
    hmm kinda its hard for me to explain, it wasn't like hummmm hummmm hummm, but just a little noisy, it was more a constinous noise, i can't remember what my old car sounded like when i started it, but i think it did make some noise.

ReputationRep:
    Could just be tappet noise. Possible on 65k

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was wondering if it was the Idle Control valve failing?

EDIT: And after having looked on google it appears to be common on earlier models?

ReputationRep:
    the exhaust was quite big so was wondering whether it was just that?

ReputationRep:
    the exhaust was quite big so was wondering whether it was just that?
    It's "modified" as well? As in a chav exhaust? :eek:

Honestly, as AT82 said - avoid it like the plaque!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.