Would you begin a relationship knowing you were moving abroad? Watch

Hellz_Bellz!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Say you met someone, you had chemistry and were compatible, bla bla bla and taking it to the next level seemed like the right thing to do... but you knew you were moving abroad/ far away (for uni) 6 or 7 months down the line... would you start a relationship?

If yes, do you think you would end the relationship when you left, or are LDRs something you would consider?
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if it was 7 months away yeah i probably would but it depends how long i was moving for.
WildeAboutOscar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes and I have done.
blueberrymuffin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have two experiences of this.

Ex - was about 7 months before I left for a year abroad. I wasn't at all keen on starting anything because I was leaving, but he convinced me it would be ok. I promptly got dumped a few months later because of the prospect of long distance!

Current Bf - we got together 3 DAYS before I left, but initially on a casual basis to see how things went. 2.5 years later we are still going strong! However, unlike the ex, I'd known him for 2 years before we got together and we were best friends. I think the fact that our friendship was so strong was partly what held us together whilst I was away.

It can work - in my experience, going for it was the best thing I ever did! It depends on the couple though I suppose (and if long distance is for an unknown length of time, I think that would make it harder).

One thing in my favour was that I hadn't had the chance to get to know my boyfriend as a boyfriend when I left, so there wasn't that side of things to miss (initially). As long as you both communicate whilst you're away, it's doable. Equally don't overdo it and miss out on some great experiences abroad.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally wouldn't because i get very attached.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't. LDRs are sucky.
Apocrypha
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perfect excuse for casual sex if you ask me.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Apocrypha)
Perfect excuse for casual sex if you ask me.
Actually, this is a good point. Just end it when the other person leaves :lol:
Apocrypha
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
Actually, this is a good point. Just end it when the other person leaves :lol:
My points are always good
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I wouldn't. I can't imagine myself being in a LDR. It works for some but not me.
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only if I'd already known them before and it was something real, not just a crush.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
30.13%
The paper was reasonable (255)
40.22%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
17.35%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
12.3%

Watched Threads