Short-Term Accommodation in London Watch

polscistudent88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys!

I will be doing research in London for a couple of months at the beginning of next academic term (most likely starting from end of Jan)... It would really help if you could suggest me good ways (websites, and alike) to find accommodation (in a shared flat)! I am asking this because most of the ads I have seen so far are not short term...

Thanks in advance
riv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which University or College will you be attached to?

I would imagine that they have someone responsible for helping new students find accommodation?

or you could contact the student union at that place and ask if they have a notice board for student flat vacancies ?

I believe far more enjoyable for you if you are coming for just two months would be a University Hall of Residence if you can find one which happens to have a room available for your short stay. Any student flatshare you find is likely to be miles from the centre of London and you will spend two hours or more a day on crowded tubes and buses.
Halls are often quite central and you can get around on foot / bike - and be nearer to theatres and bars and so on - plus you will meet more people.
http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/accommod...-accommodation

The above is a link to an institution which provides very reasonably priced rooms for students from all over the world.
It is fairly central but in a pleasant square.
Tell them your dates and where you will be studying and see if they can accommodate you - if they can - grab it with both hands and don't waste time looking anywhere else.
London is VERY VERY VERY difficult place to find a decent room at a reasonable price - esp. if you are only going to be there for two months.
polscistudent88
Rep:
?
(Original post by riv)
Which University or College will you be attached to?

I would imagine that they have someone responsible for helping new students find accommodation?

or you could contact the student union at that place and ask if they have a notice board for student flat vacancies ?

I believe far more enjoyable for you if you are coming for just two months would be a University Hall of Residence if you can find one which happens to have a room available for your short stay. Any student flatshare you find is likely to be miles from the centre of London and you will spend two hours or more a day on crowded tubes and buses.
Halls are often quite central and you can get around on foot / bike - and be nearer to theatres and bars and so on - plus you will meet more people.
http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/accommod...-accommodation

The above is a link to an institution which provides very reasonably priced rooms for students from all over the world.
It is fairly central but in a pleasant square.
Tell them your dates and where you will be studying and see if they can accommodate you - if they can - grab it with both hands and don't waste time looking anywhere else.
London is VERY VERY VERY difficult place to find a decent room at a reasonable price - esp. if you are only going to be there for two months.
Thank you very much for the reply. I am really struggling to find a room on the different websites (most of the ads are for longer stays).

I will be at King's College, but not being part of a 'structured' exchange program as the Erasmus I do not think I can be assigned university accommodation, and I have not any particular contact for the accommodation (I have anyways sent the residential offices an E-mail and waiting for reply). I think the only case I might be assigned a room is if they have one unexpectedly available (and they thus prefer to give it even for this kind of projects rather than leaving it unused). Wonder if this ever happens in London, though...

The idea of contacting the Student Union is actually very good, since they may have more possibilities to find available places, even for short stays. I will try that! And thanks for the link... Have you any experience with Goodenough?
riv
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I have stayed at Goodenough just for a few days in the past.
It had a good atmosphere and it would be approx 30mins walk to King's Coll..
[ there are buses of course ].
I suspect that King's Coll residences may be cheaper - though some are miles distant from King's. But enquire at Goodenough as to what they might have available - if anything.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/accom...menq-form.aspx

Have you filled in the above enquiry form specifying your dates that you need accommodation ?
In my experience these online forms often just get lost in the cyberspace.

If no reply within 3 days I would suggest you telephone the Accomm Office and maybe ask for an email address of a named person with whom you can be in touch.

Explain that it is URGENT. You may need to give the name of your academic supervisor to confirm that you are indeed a bona fide visiting student / researcher.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...dstudents.aspx

The above website explains that some vacancies can arise throughout the year ( eg someone drops out for whatever reason ).

Virtually all of the King's webpages concerning accommodation relate to regular students who will be coming for a full academic year - there is almost nothing for your - temporary - situation.

Therefore you need to IMPROVISE.

In my view your best chance of getting a room would be to SPEAK TO SOMEONE and get their NAME and email address - that way you can hope that they can provide an overview of which halls of residence MAY ( or even definitely do ) have a vacancy which they would allow you to fill for the two months or whatever you will be there.

I would also contact your Academic Supervisor - whoever she or he is; and explain that you are not getting a reply from the Accomm Office - is s/he or the Department secretary able to contact Accomm on your behalf with a view to ascertaining room availability and / or the NAME etc of someone with whom you can speak on the subject ??

Establishing personal / individual contact with a NAMED PERSON is key.

ANother important thing to note -
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...ces/index.aspx

SOME of the King's Residences are MILES AWAY FROM KING'S and SOUTH OF THE RIVER - which is NOT where you want to be.

You may not have much choice, but if you do have a choice go for one of the residences in ZONE 1.
This phrase relates to the bus and tube system, and ZONE 1 is the most central one.

If you have never lived in London do not underestimate the potential for long commutes from Zones 2 and worse to make your life a misery.
ZONE 1 is your option of choice - if you have one.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...ordstreet.aspx

I note that the various Residences are listed in turn and that most of them have direct email addresses.

Apart from making the central contacts suggested above you should also email individual residences stating your very specific dates between which you wish to be in residence in London, and your course of study and Academic Supervisor - and ask if they have a room you could stay in for that duration only and if so what would be the cost / charges ??

Good Luck.
polscistudent88
Rep:
?
(Original post by riv)
Yes I have stayed at Goodenough just for a few days in the past.
It had a good atmosphere and it would be approx 30mins walk to King's Coll..
[ there are buses of course ].
I suspect that King's Coll residences may be cheaper - though some are miles distant from King's. But enquire at Goodenough as to what they might have available - if anything.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/accom...menq-form.aspx

Have you filled in the above enquiry form specifying your dates that you need accommodation ?
In my experience these online forms often just get lost in the cyberspace.

If no reply within 3 days I would suggest you telephone the Accomm Office and maybe ask for an email address of a named person with whom you can be in touch.

Explain that it is URGENT. You may need to give the name of your academic supervisor to confirm that you are indeed a bona fide visiting student / researcher.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...dstudents.aspx

The above website explains that some vacancies can arise throughout the year ( eg someone drops out for whatever reason ).

Virtually all of the King's webpages concerning accommodation relate to regular students who will be coming for a full academic year - there is almost nothing for your - temporary - situation.

Therefore you need to IMPROVISE.

In my view your best chance of getting a room would be to SPEAK TO SOMEONE and get their NAME and email address - that way you can hope that they can provide an overview of which halls of residence MAY ( or even definitely do ) have a vacancy which they would allow you to fill for the two months or whatever you will be there.

I would also contact your Academic Supervisor - whoever she or he is; and explain that you are not getting a reply from the Accomm Office - is s/he or the Department secretary able to contact Accomm on your behalf with a view to ascertaining room availability and / or the NAME etc of someone with whom you can speak on the subject ??

Establishing personal / individual contact with a NAMED PERSON is key.

ANother important thing to note -
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...ces/index.aspx

SOME of the King's Residences are MILES AWAY FROM KING'S and SOUTH OF THE RIVER - which is NOT where you want to be.

You may not have much choice, but if you do have a choice go for one of the residences in ZONE 1.
This phrase relates to the bus and tube system, and ZONE 1 is the most central one.

If you have never lived in London do not underestimate the potential for long commutes from Zones 2 and worse to make your life a misery.
ZONE 1 is your option of choice - if you have one.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/acco...ordstreet.aspx

I note that the various Residences are listed in turn and that most of them have direct email addresses.

Apart from making the central contacts suggested above you should also email individual residences stating your very specific dates between which you wish to be in residence in London, and your course of study and Academic Supervisor - and ask if they have a room you could stay in for that duration only and if so what would be the cost / charges ??

Good Luck.
Thanks, really ! I have contacted the Goodenough College but unfortunately the London House is not currently available!

I know it is way better to find something in zone 1 area (anyways in case I find nothing, I will accept rooms in other areas). As you suggest I will contact the Housing services of KCL and also the various residences indicated on the website. Really hope there is something available. In case I get no answer I will then ask my supervisor at KCL to see if there is something that can be done. Thanks also for this advice!
riv
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
SUGGEST you stay in touch with Goudenough / London House :
ask them specifically if they will contact you in january if a vacancy arises - ie someone might leave, you never know. But they will forget about you unless you make a point of emailing them say around Christmas.
Do you have a NAME of someone in the Office who you can direct your inquiries to - eg you might phone at some point.

Secondly - yes email all the residences of KCL which are in Zone 1; but I would not wait for replies till you contact your Supervisor on the issue.

Thirdly - do you have a NAME of someone in the KCL Accomm Office in the Strand with whom you can be in contact on the issue ?
Do they not have an overview of all the KCL Residences ?
I would have thought that they should KNOW which ones have vacancies if any ??

My point is : you need to make all these inquiries / establish contact with named persons ( and of course give them YOUR name / email / mobile ) on all fronts at the same time - NOT, do them one by one and wait for each to answer before you contact the next one.

And if at first you get negative replies well just keep on at them ( politely of course ) the aim being that they have you ( and your name ) IN MIND if / when a vacancy should arise in January ( and if it does you might have to accept it straight away, ie start paying for it even before you get to London - or just go there early - Look at it from their point of view ; their job is to maximise income so if a room is empty and someone can take it from the start of Term, and someone else says 'Hold it for me till the end of January please ' who are they going to give it to ?? ).

(Original post by polscistudent88)
Thanks, really ! I have contacted the Goodenough College but unfortunately the London House is not currently available!

I know it is way better to find something in zone 1 area (anyways in case I find nothing, I will accept rooms in other areas). As you suggest I will contact the Housing services of KCL and also the various residences indicated on the website. Really hope there is something available. In case I get no answer I will then ask my supervisor at KCL to see if there is something that can be done. Thanks also for this advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.3%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.49%

Watched Threads