Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are you required to draw certain things? E.g. formation of glycosidic bonds? The syllabus doesn't seem to specify what you need to be able to draw yet there are a lot of diagrams in the revision guides. Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sometimes the structure of an amino acid, what happens during a condensation reaction/hydrolysis, so glucose molecules, both alpha and beta

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Sometimes the structure of an amino acid, what happens during a condensation reaction/hydrolysis, so glucose molecules, both alpha and beta
    Thanks for the reply. So, for example, we would need to be able to draw lactose being formed by B-glucose and galactose? Why does the specification not say this? It just says:

4. Describe how monosaccharides join to form disaccharides (sucrose, lactose and maltose) and polysaccharides (glycogen and amylose) through condensation reactions forming glycosidic bonds, and how these can be split through hydrolysis reactions.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GradMed)
    Thanks for the reply. So, for example, we would need to be able to draw lactose being formed by B-glucose and galactose? Why does the specification not say this? It just says:
    It's okay I think so, I'm sure a past paper I did asked me to draw the formation of maltose through a condensation reaction! I have no idea why it doesn't say it. It's rare for it to come up but I've definitely seen it before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    It's okay I think so, I'm sure a past paper I did asked me to draw the formation of maltose through a condensation reaction! I have no idea why it doesn't say it. It's rare for it to come up but I've definitely seen it before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you remember if it asked you to draw it from scratch or just to finish it off with the glycosidic bond? I hope we're not expected to know the diagrams for all of these?! There are so many different variations, I would definitely get some hydroxyl groups on the wrong carbon atom etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradMed)
    Do you remember if it asked you to draw it from scratch or just to finish it off with the glycosidic bond? I hope we're not expected to know the diagrams for all of these?! There are so many different variations, I would definitely get some hydroxyl groups on the wrong carbon atom etc.
    They'd usually give you the structures of the sugar units first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do we have to know how to draw galactose and fructose as well?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.