Turn on thread page Beta

Hello all,

at home, I am so disorganised/I let myself go, etc, but when I live on my own, I am soooo organised, on top of everything etc. I do not understand completely why, but I associate my room at my parents with so many negative memories that cleaning up becomes impossible ( everything is all over the place all the time, has been like taht for 3 years!). Why am I more organised/hygienic when I live away from home? Bad memories cannot explain everything.

ReputationRep:
    I think it could be potentially learned behaviour. It's true that bad memories cannot explain everything, however it may be a combination of mainly memories and other factors.

Maybe it's the fact that you do not want to re-live these past experiences again. You feel like you can't be bothered because things were so bad back then, and you just want to get away from it altogether.

Living on your own clearly seems like it suits you better, so I think I would advise you to continue with that. It's good that you are independent, but maybe it really is just to do with negative memories.

Like Freud suggested, memories are so important when it comes to who we are as a person. They can seriously affect you in ways you never thought about before, and maybe this is one of the many cases - perhaps you feel like you are more in control of your life while you are alone as opposed to be controlled by your parents when living at home? Resulting in a lack of organisation in that case.

Hope it helps, take care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.