The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Criminology and Psychology at a ex polytechnic and proud. I'm a mature student, whose future career needs a degree with criminology in it.
From being a care manager, I employed social workers and people with degrees. I didn't care on the uni, I interviewed for personality and attributes. A degree gives you many skills, especially in research which is transferable to a job.
I got offered a place at Leeds Uni in criminal justice and criminology. But picked Leeds Met for the course. I have also worked with the uni and knew it was good in supporting students, especially disabled students like me.
Btw I have no A Levels. I have a 'NVQ' 3 and 5 GCSEs. Yet I got into uni on life experience and something you haven't got which is 'maturity'.
Unless you have employed people and worked in a work places for a sufficient amount of time, you really know nothing....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
the reason is I appreciate that we need some kind of discriminator between people for jobs

I can see that, as I have the basic ability to read unlike certain individuals. I too, believe that there must be a way to distinguish between people. However, had you read my post properly, you would've seen I was criticising you not because you choose to discriminate between people, but rather because you chose the worst possible criteria to do so.

worked their butts off for it.

Worked their butts off for something as superficial and fake as what you would refer to as college/sixth form? I take my words back this bit of this post takes the biscuit as being the most hilarious.

Only ICL? Your post is making me laugh now.

Only ICL amongst the golden triangle unis I said.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by mrsx512
Criminology and Psychology at a ex polytechnic and proud. I'm a mature student, whose future career needs a degree with criminology in it.
From being a care manager, I employed social workers and people with degrees. I didn't care on the uni, I interviewed for personality and attributes. A degree gives you many skills, especially in research which is transferable to a job.
I got offered a place at Leeds Uni in criminal justice and criminology. But picked Leeds Met for the course. I have also worked with the uni and knew it was good in supporting students, especially disabled students like me.
Btw I have no A Levels. I have a 'NVQ' 3 and 5 GCSEs. Yet I got into uni on life experience and something you haven't got which is 'maturity'.
Unless you have employed people and worked in a work places for a sufficient amount of time, you really know nothing....

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really doesn't mean anything that you have employed people - you really think those interviews give you magical insight into the interviewees - I hope you don't have to interview me as I will blag my way into your jobs, the same as I have done for my pre university life experience btw.
Reply 83
It really doesn't mean anything that you have employed people - you really think those interviews give you magical insight into the interviewees - I hope you don't have to interview me as I will blag my way into your jobs, the same as I have done for my pre university life experience btw.

No, a interview only gives you a small insight into who a person is. I interview and passed those from RG uni's, and lower rank ones too. It makes no difference. Degrading a uni because it's a 'lower rank' is laughable. It has the same standards and teaching as the rest, the exception that Oxbridge has smaller classes apparently.
When you eventually end up in the big world of employment, you will be let down. And no, I didn't make the mistake of employing big headed people like yourself but I wish you well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by mrsx512
No, a interview only gives you a small insight into who a person is. I interview and passed those from RG uni's, and lower rank ones too. It makes no difference. Degrading a uni because it's a 'lower rank' is laughable. It has the same standards and teaching as the rest, the exception that Oxbridge has smaller classes apparently.
When you eventually end up in the big world of employment, you will be let down. And no, I didn't make the mistake of employing big headed people like yourself but I wish you well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ya OK argue with factual graduate prospects of those who have gone to Oxbridge. I have entered the big world of employment before my degree - in relation to the highlighted it is a bit ironic how you are being big headed about your high and mighty experience, belittling with phrases like the "big world of employment", you were a manager, do you want a medal, oh enlightened one?
Ya OK

Horrendous spelling, troll detected.

gg wp no re
Reply 86
Original post by n00bfi
Horrendous spelling, troll detected.

gg wp no re

Okay, n00bfi.
Reply 87
Ya OK argue with factual graduate prospects of those who have gone to Oxbridge. I have entered the big world of employment before my degree - in relation to the highlighted it is a bit ironic how you are being big headed about your high and mighty experience, belittling with phrases like the "big world of employment", you were a manager, do you want a medal, oh enlightened one?

I'm big headed? Lel.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by mrsx512
I'm big headed? Lel.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So big headed you cannot comprehend the possibility.
Reply 89
Original post by Little Boots
Like classics is useless. Did the nice school people not fully explain the multiplicity and respectability of jobs you can get with a classics degree?

This. Classics is one of only a few degrees that are good for entry into the Civil and Diplomatic Services. Other than Law and perhaps Medicine, those are the few "traditional" career options for the high middle class.

Class, however, is not to be confused with money: one could argue that a middle-ranking diplomat has more class than a very wealthy company M.D.

A real "bull" course would be something like Surf Science, but even this is essentially a souped-up oceanography course.
Reply 90
So big headed you cannot comprehend the possibility.

Joins 5 days ago
Puts in a medical qualification in name
Posts thread bashing lower rank uni's.......

Troll and butthurt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Why is that unfair? As employers they clearly don't think a "hard course at a top uni" is any more beneficial to them when looking for a graduate than any other course. Stop trying to defend your education when you've basically just proved it isn't as worthwhile as you thought.

I suppose. For the record, I'm actually one of those who did an easier course and (will get) a 2:1/1st, not one of the 2:2 hard course people.

But then, is there actually any point whatsoever in going to uni? If not, why do the recruiters bother stipulating a degree requirement at all? While A-level school leaver programmes are now growing in popularity, that's only a phenomenon that's happened since the fees went up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
You lost your last shred of integrity when you said Reading
Reply 93
Hey guys, im new to this and was wandering if anyone can help me... how do I post/start a new thread on this
I was unaware that Reading was considered a crap uni. Jamie Cullum went there. I have no clue why I know this.
People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss

What about people who do "useful" courses at lower ranked universities?
People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss

What a narrow minded post.
Reply 97
Original post by KingKumar
Yes, I understand your point but you can't support it on a fact you've just made up or are unsure about. There is no course at Oxford related to films or media.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/film_aesthetics.html
Reply 98

Ah I was proved wrong - I couldn't find this in my search earlier even when I looked at all the postgrad courses.
Reply 99
Original post by KingKumar
Ah I was proved wrong - I couldn't find this in my search earlier even when I looked at all the postgrad courses.

I also thought Oxford didn't offer courses of this type so looked into it out of curiosity. Even found a thread on here about it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=298484
(albeit a short and dated one)

Latest

Trending

Trending