Worldwide nuclear detonations 1945-1998 Watch

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Interesting (and refreshingly retro) timelapse of all nuclear detonations - including tests - done by anyone on earth since the first in July 1945.

Starts slow, but around the early '60s gets scary. Bet you wouldn't have guessed there had been that many, either.
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Very interesting. California shouldn't exist anymore!
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I saw this a few months ago. I realise that quite a few of those were underground tests, but there weere quite a few over ground tests as well. Yet we're still here.

As you can see, most our teh US and the USSR (Russia). Lets just hope Saudi and Iran don't start getting into an arms race.

It's intersting to see how we managed to get a working device with only 30 odd tests, I don't know what the other countries wer upto especially France.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)

Interesting (and refreshingly retro) timelapse of all nuclear detonations - including tests - done by anyone on earth since the first in July 1945.

Starts slow, but around the early '60s gets scary. Bet you wouldn't have guessed there had been that many, either.
Thanks for posting this, very interesting and troubling.

Isn't it a disgrace that China and France have still not yet signed the test ban treaty. I would expect little else of North Korea, but the other two have no excuse really. France in particular is pathetic as it is supposed to be part of Nato and a 'civilised western democracy'.

Note the huge Soviet explosions in Novaya Zemlya, close to the UK in relative terms. I wonder if we have ever really been informed properly on how much radiation from all these blasts came over us and what effect it had, not just on us but on world populations generally.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Thanks for posting this, very interesting and troubling.

Isn't it a disgrace that China and France have still not yet signed the test ban treaty. I would expect little else of North Korea, but the other two have no excuse really. France in particular is pathetic as it is supposed to be part of Nato and a 'civilised western democracy'.

Note the huge Soviet explosions in Novaya Zemlya, close to the UK in relative terms. I wonder if we have ever really been informed properly on how much radiation from all these blasts came over us and what effect it had, not just on us but on world populations generally.
Although there's been a general increase in back ground radiation, not that much affect.

Although an interesting fact for you. In order to provide radiation free steel for scientific experiments is actually the scuttled German imperial fleet in Scapa Flow.
Sllim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
France and the USA id guess dominated testing for most of the 60-70s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads