Why are cucumbers and tomatoes considered fruit? Watch

mrhedgehog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This fact has always got to me. I just want to know the logic or science behind it because we do treat them as vegetables.
ArtGoblin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I refer to savoury edible plants as vegetables and sweet edible plants as fruit. I don't care what the correct definition of the word is - people who refer to cucumbers as fruits are idiots.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because fruit have seeds in them, or on them in the case of strawberries. Vegetables do not. Also bananas are herbs not fruits.
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fruit - part of a flower that contains the seeds
Vegetable -any edible plant

Tomatoes and cucumbers fit definition one hence they are fruits. Tomatoes are classed as vegetables in everyday life for legal reasons because there are different tax codes for fruits and vegetables.
WGR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ArtGoblin)
I refer to savoury edible plants as vegetables and sweet edible plants as fruit. I don't care what the correct definition of the word is - people who refer to cucumbers as fruits are idiots.
"People who use the correct definition are idiots"
:facepalm2:
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting. Didn't know that cucumber was classed as fruit.
JimmyBignutz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Because fruit have seeds in them, or on them in the case of strawberries. Vegetables do not. Also bananas are herbs not fruits.
banana plants are herbs, the actual fruit is a berry
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Because it got dem seeds innit
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
but a sea-cucumber is an animal...
JindleBrey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fruits only grow in the day while vegetables only grow at night. Wig out
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vegetables don't contain seeds.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JimmyBignutz)
banana plants are herbs, the actual fruit is a berry
Well I didn't know that. My friend told me an AMAZING fact about banana's... Did you know, the taste of banana flavor sweets is actually based on a now extinct species of banana that was wiped out by a virus! So when we eat banana sweets and say "these don't really taste of banana!", we are in fact wrong... they do, they taste of an extinct breed! Amazing eh?

But even more amazing... every banana in existence, at least every common everyday supermarket banana, is a clone of one single banana sample! They are not just brothers in arms, they are clones, they are... one and the same! But this isn't good for banana-kind! If a virus becomes particularly adept at destroying the species of banana that we know and love... banana-kind will be wiped out again! And the whole process will begin over and over again.

Now who would have thought that such a humble fruit... nay! Herb... nay! Berry! Could be so amazing...

Banana-kind. I salute you.
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Well I didn't know that. My friend told me an AMAZING fact about banana's... Did you know, the taste of banana flavor sweets is actually based on a now extinct species of banana that was wiped out by a virus! So when we eat banana sweets and say "these don't really taste of banana!", we are in fact wrong... they do, they taste of an extinct breed! Amazing eh?

But even more amazing... every banana in existence, at least every common everyday supermarket banana, is a clone of one single banana sample! They are not just brothers in arms, they are clones, they are... one and the same! But this isn't good for banana-kind! If a virus becomes particularly adept at destroying the species of banana that we know and love... banana-kind will be wiped out again! And the whole process will begin over and over again.

Now who would have thought that such a humble fruit... nay! Herb... nay! Berry! Could be so amazing...

I found that very interesting. Not sure if you were being serious or not but still found it interesting.
Kimina
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fruit: the sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

Veg:
A herbaceous (green and leaf like in appearance or texture) plant cultivated for an edible part, as roots, stems, leaves or flowers. Or you may say a vegetable is the edible stems, leaves, and roots of the plant.
Kimina
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)

Most commercial bananas are all the same clone (in this country) but remember there are many different types of banana (I think I tried at least 5 different types/species in the caribbean and I'm pretty sure that there are non-cloned bananas growing in the amazon or somewhere similar.
Keenanp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
but a sea-cucumber is an animal...
Solemn Rain
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Keenanp)
What is it! ?
PG593
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Keenanp)
Hehe that thing creeps me out!
kristinabubble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because they have multiple seeds on the inside hope this helped
Keenanp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kidomo)
What is it! ?
(Original post by PG593)
Hehe that thing creeps me out!
Type of sea cucumber. ^^

lol it is somewhat creepy..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads