Performance HDD (or SSHD) for laptop? Watch

Glitch96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey I was thinking about a 7200RPM 1TB+ HDD for my laptop as I've filled up my current one (2 bays btw) but they all seem to be 5400? Help?

Also, what's all this about SSHD's, are they any better? I play a lot of intensive games like Crysis 3 so i'm not sure if it would help boot up times for example
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Glitch96)
Hey I was thinking about a 7200RPM 1TB+ HDD for my laptop as I've filled up my current one (2 bays btw) but they all seem to be 5400? Help?

Also, what's all this about SSHD's, are they any better? I play a lot of intensive games like Crysis 3 so i'm not sure if it would help boot up times for example
Don't forget they are 2.5" hdd...................well ideally you want a combination of things.
Get a large hdd and a 128gb ssd............they certainly do make boot time decrease and improve any performance of games stored on them.
NuclearFusion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Don't forget they are 2.5" hdd...................well ideally you want a combination of things.
Get a large hdd and a 128gb ssd............they certainly do make boot time decrease and improve any performance of games stored on them.
This is a laptop though remember so most don't have the capacity to have both an SSD and HDD without sacrificing the optical drive.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NuclearFusion)
This is a laptop though remember so most don't have the capacity to have both an SSD and HDD without sacrificing the optical drive.
He did state.......
2 bays btw
and I know what a laptop has thank you very much :rolleyes:.......some laptops come with an extra bay for a hdd, etc
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'd get the best SSD you can, and then keep your 5400 rpm as it will run cooler.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
128GB SSD for Windows/apps, 500GB/1TB drive for storage

SSDs do make a big difference

Edit: yeah keep a 5400RPM for storage, don't bother with 7200
Glitch96
Rep:
?
SSHDs? solid state hard drives? anyone? no?

Any SSD brand you'd recommend?

(Original post by addylad)
I'd get the best SSD you can, and then keep your 5400 rpm as it will run cooler.

Posted from TSR Mobile
note that my current 500GB HDD is 7200rpm, cooling won't be an issue as my laptop has 2 well functioning fans. But yeah once I sort out the additional HDD I will change up to an SSD.

(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
128GB SSD for Windows/apps, 500GB/1TB drive for storage

SSDs do make a big difference

Edit: yeah keep a 5400RPM for storage, don't bother with 7200
Will do, if 7200rpm doesn't make a difference then that means I don't need to go hunting for a 1TB one that doesn't seem to exist.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
SSHDs? solid state hard drives? anyone? no?

Any SSD brand you'd recommend?

note that my current 500GB HDD is 7200rpm, cooling won't be an issue as my laptop has 2 well functioning fans. But yeah once I sort out the additional HDD I will change up to an SSD.

Will do, if 7200rpm doesn't make a difference then that means I don't need to go hunting for a 1TB one that doesn't seem to exist.
Intel, crucial and Samsung 840 pro series only.............

And i'm guessing your talking about those hybrid systems, a small ssd cache and a large hdd.
Glitch96
Rep:
?
Intel, crucial and Samsung 840 pro series only.............

And i'm guessing your talking about those hybrid systems, a small ssd cache and a large hdd.
Ok, because there was a cheap Sandisk one but I doubted their experience with ssds

Yeah, like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Lapt.../dp/B00BHRWHNI
not sure if its any better or just a gimmick
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, because there was a cheap Sandisk one but I doubted their experience with ssds

I'd recommend the Samsung EVO from eBuyer as they're offering it for the same price as the Samsung 840 atm, including free next day delivery. The EVO's speeds are a win vs. the 840. However, if you want the extra bang for buck, get the 840 pro.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

They are faster then the standard hdd's, but not as fast as the ssd's.
Glitch96
Rep:
?
(Original post by AdampskiB)
I'd recommend the Samsung EVO from eBuyer as they're offering it for the same price as the Samsung 840 atm, including free next day delivery. The EVO's speeds are a win vs. the 840. However, if you want the extra bang for buck, get the 840 pro.
I'll have a look at that thanks!

They are faster then the standard hdd's, but not as fast as the ssd's.
If SSD > SSHD > HDD, then a 128GB ssd + 1TB SSHD should be perfect, thanks
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll have a look at that thanks!

If SSD > SSHD > HDD, then a 128GB ssd + 1TB SSHD should be perfect, thanks
Not too sure.......but I believe hdd is very similar in terms of read speed, but the sshd pulls away on write speed and boot time........ssd is a different level to them though
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not too sure.......but I believe hdd is very similar in terms of read speed, but the sshd pulls away on write speed and boot time........ssd is a different level to them though
SSHD? Never heard the term before. I assume you guys are referring to a hybrid drive? Where there's a mixture between the two like there are in ultrabooks these days? Then there's typically a 24gb capacity in SSD form, allowed for OS installation, and obviously the remaining is in disc & spindle form for just everything else.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdampskiB)
SSHD? Never heard the term before. I assume you guys are referring to a hybrid drive? Where there's a mixture between the two like there are in ultrabooks these days? Then there's typically a 24gb capacity in SSD form, allowed for OS installation, and obviously the remaining is in disc & spindle form for just everything else.
Yep........ultrabooks ssd bit is different.
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why would you want a Hybrid drive if you have 2 bays?

Get a 128GB (maybe even 64GB if you can store downloads without having to plug in an external drive) Samsung 830/840 (Pro/Evo) or something from Crucial (M4)

Stay away from manufacturers like Sandisk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.75%
The paper was reasonable (440)
45.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.03%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed