If Science Is Right, Why Bother Teaching Humanities? Watch

Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If science is the way forward and there is only scientific truths to be attained, why do we bother teaching humanities at all? Shouldn't they be eradicated in place of more science faculties? Surely we won't need to think critically in the future if we can have machines to do it for us?
Stacy93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Science and the humanities are not mutually exclusive.
A scientist can appreciate the beauty of a flower and an artist can appreciate the the theory of evolution which caused the flower to look the way it does.
Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman explains it better than I can.
video link
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stacy93)
A scientist can appreciate the beauty of a flower and an artist can appreciate the the theory of evolution which caused the flower to look the way it does.
video link
Pretty much this. I would give you +rep but apparently I've used up my allowance today.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
If science is the way forward and there is only scientific truths to be attained, why do we bother teaching humanities at all? Shouldn't they be eradicated in place of more science faculties? Surely we won't need to think critically in the future if we can have machines to do it for us?
Because not everyone has a scientific mind.
Kiss
Rep:
?
video link
Therefore, beauty is only idealised through science. There is no need for humanities to teach beauty
GreenOut
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
Because not everyone has a scientific mind.
"Some people are stupid"
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't understand why one has to take priority over the other, both are significant in their own way. Nothing wrong with liking both, either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GreenOut)
"Some people are stupid"
oh my god.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is like, the biggest false dichotomy in the history of false dichotomies. Ever.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Is this a troll thread?
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What?

Humanities are what makes us human.
Habsburg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Humanities create good, educated, virtuous citizens.

Humanities should also be appreciated for their own sake. I might not be able to convince you that they are as 'important' as the natural sciences, but they should be studied for their own beauty.

Science doesn't have something useful to offer for everything, either, and a world completely based on soulless scientism and utility without any value for aesthetic beauty for its own sake or scholarly pursuits not deemed 'scientific' would be a very sad one indeed.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Nope completely agree with op, the is no need for this humanities bs
Kiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by danny111)
What?

Humanities are what makes us human.
No, biology makes us human.
Kiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
This is like, the biggest false dichotomy in the history of false dichotomies. Ever.
Explain.
HenryD
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you fail to appreciate the emotion evoked by Shakespeare's verse, or the perfection of Beethoven's music then perhaps they are useless. But I would submit that a life without the humanities would be far blander and worse. There is much to be said for science and it's own beauty, but I think if you removed everything that the humanities contribute you would be bored within a week. And that's without the practical contributions of the humanities. You'll struggle to write a paper without a good education in English. Philosophy encompasses the study of fields not yet developed enough to become their own branch of knowledge, it has already yielded mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, linguistics, psychology and others, more may yet follow.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Humanities have artistic value which is of no less importance than science.

Machines do not have the capability of reasoning or thinking critically, humans do.

You're welcome.
matt_g96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
humanities allow for the use of creativity, while science is concrete information (yes you can argue sciences involve creativity, but not as much as in the humanities)
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
No, biology makes us human.
No. If you look at history humans have always carried out pastimes that you can classify as "humanities". Humanities are a study of human behaviour as science is of natural behaviour.
Kiss
Rep:
?
video link
That simply reaffirms the idea that humanities are not necessary since science can explain them/do them just as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads

Latest