Would getting this laptop be a waste of money? u Watch

IspeaksBristol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I'm in the 2nd year at Uni and have a 15" MacBook Pro. It's got 4GB memory, a 500GB hardrive, and a 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 processor.

Basically, i'd really quite like the new 15" retina one. With student discount it works out to about £1,500 and i'd sell my current MacBook. The new retina one has 2.0Ghz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB memory and a 256GB hardrive.

The hardrive is about half the size but I don't use a lot. I study Media and for using Uni computers and my own laptop, I just use a portable hardrive for all of my files (I have another back up too), so I don't use loads of space really on my current laptop.

I walk to Uni and the new retina macbook is really quite light and it'd just feel loads better carrying it on my back... I have a half hour bus journey and a half hour walk to Uni. Plus I take my laptop around with me quite a bit. I use it for video editing, the internet, photo editing, watching TV (I watch at home so have a licence!) and I watch films on it with my girlfriend, and so the retina display would look really good.

It's around £1500. I'd sell my current laptop. I have savings and a part-time job. But, do you think it's worth it?

thanks!
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IspeaksBristol)
Hi! I'm in the 2nd year at Uni and have a 15" MacBook Pro. It's got 4GB memory, a 500GB hardrive, and a 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 processor.

Basically, i'd really quite like the new 15" retina one. With student discount it works out to about £1,500 and i'd sell my current MacBook. The new retina one has 2.0Ghz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB memory and a 256GB hardrive.

The hardrive is about half the size but I don't use a lot. I study Media and for using Uni computers and my own laptop, I just use a portable hardrive for all of my files (I have another back up too), so I don't use loads of space really on my current laptop.

I walk to Uni and the new retina macbook is really quite light and it'd just feel loads better carrying it on my back... I have a half hour bus journey and a half hour walk to Uni. Plus I take my laptop around with me quite a bit. I use it for video editing, the internet, photo editing, watching TV (I watch at home so have a licence!) and I watch films on it with my girlfriend, and so the retina display would look really good.

It's around £1500. I'd sell my current laptop. I have savings and a part-time job. But, do you think it's worth it?

thanks!
I'd stick with what you've got, you seem to already have quite a good MacBook Pro, and even if you sell it you'll still lose a few hundred pounds just for a marginally better laptop-I doubt that you would notice any difference in performance for most tasks. The retina displays are nice but it would make more sense to wait until your current laptop is older, and the new laptops will be even better and possibly cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (481)
30.95%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.47%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.9%

Watched Threads