Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've been told once I apply for school direct their process for the one in my area is a 5 min presentation without PowerPoint about anything of my choice. I really can't think what I would do if I got to this stage. Does anyone have any ideas. This is for primary not secondary.

my issue is it would be 5 minutes no power point and needs to be effective. How is that possible! Any ideas please.

thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you cannot come up with anything that will fill 5 minutes, how will you manage when you have to fill 5 hours every day? This is something you need to do yourself as it is a chance for you to demonstrate your creativity and imagination and to let your personality shine through. Using someone else's idea would be risky anyway as there is a possibility the interviewers will read this and know your presentation is not original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffy07)
    Hi I've been told once I apply for school direct their process for the one in my area is a 5 min presentation without PowerPoint about anything of my choice. The example they have given at the open day was a book, an event or person or even an object. I really can't think what I would do if I got to this stage. Does anyone have any ideas. This is for primary not secondary.

my issue is it would be 5 minutes no power point and needs to be effective. How is that possible! Any ideas please.

thanks
    I second Mr M's advice above. You need to do this yourself really as its showing your ability to think of activities and what a child will get out of them.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of how to present it (without a Powerpoint) I would suggest bringing some kind of prop to bring it to life. It gives you something to hold onto/gesture with which is better than standing awkwardly with empty hands/clutching a script, and you can pass it around for your interviewers to look at or do some kind of demonstration. At the very least, bring in a photo/flashcards or something.

I remember having to do something like this for "communication skills" at 6th form. I talked about pointe shoes for ballet, their history and the different parts/materials of the shoe and passed them round for people to have a look, then put them on and did a quick demonstration.

In terms of what to talk about (and therefore what your prop/object/photo would be), I agree with the other posters that you need to come up with your own ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I second the prop idea- even if they are really silly it will make people laugh and it will be memorable- you'll stand out. I'd go for a box of daft props!

ReputationRep:
    Another task would be 45 minutes teaching a lesson to children, which I am fine with. Got loads of stuff I could do. My issue was impressing the adults in that 5 min. My idea would be to focus on my life and pick something that I enjoy but would definitely have to consider having a prop or something to show as it would be boring just watching me. Now got to keep fingers crossed I get an interview. ������

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.