Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about joining the gym Not to lose weight, I've all ready lost the weight, but instead I would now like to tone up my stomach, arms and legs.

Just wanted to know what equipment at the gym would be best to target these areas?

The membership includes free classes so I'm able to go to spin classes, and LBT and ones that work on my flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    [x] Thread sucks.

ReputationRep:
    The traditional idea of toning is losing fat and gaining muscle. If you have lost the amount of fat necessary for your muscles to become apparent/significant/whatever the word is (i.e. for you to look "toned") then you need more strength training than cardio.

(I can't say exactly what equipment you need to do this because in all my years of fat loss/muscle gain, I've never stepped foot in a gym. I'm gaining muscle via calisthenics and some yoga.)

ReputationRep:
    You can't 'target' specific areas of the body to lose fat on. And if you didn't know, toning involves shredding fat thats on the surface of your body.

Use the treadmill. Or rowing machine. Do it for like half an hour at a sustainable speed. Your metabolism will remain high for a while afterwards.
    Weights won't play a significant part in toning your body but I suggest it anyway, a good combination of muscles and tone can equal a nice look.

Better yet, save money and just go jogging in the morning.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TartarusEnosa)
    You can't 'target' specific areas of the body to lose fat on. And if you didn't know, toning involves shredding fat thats on the surface of your body.

Use the treadmill. Or rowing machine. Do it for like half an hour at a sustainable speed. Your metabolism will remain high for a while afterwards.
    Weights won't play a significant part in toning your body but I suggest it anyway, a good combination of muscles and tone can equal a nice look.

Better yet, save money and just go jogging in the morning.
    Every physique that you'd consider "toned" has a component of muscle mass to it. If OP has never done any sort of resistance training (weights or bodyweight like in gymnastics), then she's not going to have any significant muscle mass waiting to be revealed from her "just cardio". Vixen's got it right above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Every physique that you'd consider "toned" has a component of muscle mass to it. If OP has never done any sort of resistance training (weights or bodyweight like in gymnastics), then she's not going to have any significant muscle mass waiting to be revealed from her "just cardio". Vixen's got it right above.
    Hm. I think I did make that apparent, 'a good combination of muscles and tone can equal a nice look.'
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TartarusEnosa)
    Hm. I think I did make that apparent, 'a good combination of muscles and tone can equal a nice look.'
    This is the problem with what you suggested. Tone = muscle mass - body fat. Just losing body fat won't leave OP with a "toned physique".

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.