Depression and uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently finishing off my ucas application but when choosing a course I had to tick some "health" box. Im not sure exactly what it meant but I think it was to say I didn't have any disabilities (possibly)
ive been to the doctors once about depression but never had any treatment, if I tick this box would the uni find out and could they revoke my offer?
Any advice would be great cause I'm stressing out atm!
lipslikemorphine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You haven't been diagnosed with anything so no and depression isn't usually classed as a disability.
That's hardly the part of the form to be stressing about.
Deyesy
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently finishing off my ucas application but when choosing a course I had to tick some "health" box. Im not sure exactly what it meant but I think it was to say I didn't have any disabilities (possibly)
ive been to the doctors once about depression but never had any treatment, if I tick this box would the uni find out and could they revoke my offer?
Just so you know it's illegal under the 2010 Equality Act for universities to discriminate - in this instance; reject your application on the basis of you disclosing you have a disability; including anything to do with mental health

I disclosed on my application that I had a disability - I have depression and anxiety and ended up with 4 out 5 offers last year and was only rejected from the 5th one because I didn't meet the academic entry requirements they wanted. So yeah, it's illegal for them to do so ^^

Hope this helps.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The purpose of that box is for statistical purposes, I believe, as well as for universities and funding bodies to track students with disabilities. This then allows them to inform the student of support available (e.g. Disabled Students Allowance) and to invite them to attend a discussion with the Disability Service to discuss support.

No, the university cannot revoke an offer should you have a mental health condition or disability without justification. This would be discrimination. There are some courses, largely vocational courses in health and social care as well as teaching, that may require an Occupational Health check, but few medical conditions will result in an offer being withdrawn, especially not depression. A purpose of an Occupational Health check is to check you are fit for the duties of the course and any placements, and to discuss support.

Secondly, do you actually have depression? From what you've said it sounds like you want to see your GP on one occasion but received no diagnosis or support? If this is the case then you have no official diagnosis and shouldn't tick the box.

If you suspect you do have depression, however, then I recommend you go and see your GP.

In short, whether you tick the box or not is your choice but, as mentioned, if you've never been diagnosed then don't tick it, or you were diagnosed but haven't , then I'd say don't tick it. If you have recent experience of depression feel free to tick it. All it means is that you'll be given information about possible support should you get an offer.

(Original post by lipslikemorphine)
You haven't been diagnosed with anything so no and depression isn't usually classed as a disability.
Depression can be classed as a disability under the 2010 Equality Act (and previous to that, the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act) and people with depression, and other mental health conditions, are therefore protected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads