Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the School of Computer Science at Manchester is part of Microsoft's DreamSpark Program, and whether it's Premium or not?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by marlon667)
    you can get all the Windows operating systems fro Dreamspark but only if the institution signs up for the Premium program.
    You can however get Windows Server without your institution being part of the Premium program. It's able to run as a normal desktop operating system if you just make a few easy tweaks - look up "convert Windows Server to workstation".

I was running Server 2008 R2 for about a year, and I preferred it to normal Windows. Server has a few extra features such as Remote Desktop Host, and also has lots of unnecessary services stripped out, making it really fast. As a computer science student, Server will probably suit you better. Games and other software will all work just fine.

If Manchester isn't part of the Dreamspark program, you can either ask your department to sign up to it, or use an ISIC card if you have one. When I was at school though, I just emailed Dreamspark support to say that my school wasn't registered, and they sent me a registration key the day after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    You can however get Windows Server without your institution being part of the Premium program. It's able to run as a normal desktop operating system if you just make a few easy tweaks - look up "convert Windows Server to workstation".

I was running Server 2008 R2 for about a year, and I preferred it to normal Windows. Server has a few extra features such as Remote Desktop Host, and also has lots of unnecessary services stripped out, making it really fast. As a computer science student, Server will probably suit you better. Games and other software will all work just fine.

If Manchester isn't part of the Dreamspark program, you can either ask your department to sign up to it, or use an ISIC card if you have one. When I was at school though, I just emailed Dreamspark support to say that my school wasn't registered, and they sent me a registration key the day after.
    Thanks for the help My college, King Edwards, is part of the DreamSpark program already, so I was just asking to see if I should download as much as I can now or save the disk space and wait until I get to Manchester (if I get in, fingers crossed!) I've always had OCD with using Server OS' as normal one. That being said, I've never actually used a Server before, so I guess that's something new then :P

One other thing: could you explain what an ICIS card is?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for the help My college, King Edwards, is part of the DreamSpark program already, so I was just asking to see if I should download as much as I can now or save the disk space and wait until I get to Manchester (if I get in, fingers crossed!) I've always had OCD with using Server OS' as normal one. That being said, I've never actually used a Server before, so I guess that's something new then :P
    One other thing: could you explain what an ICIS card is?
    Yeah, definitely go for it :yy: It's not that different to standard Windows, just faster with more powerful features. Anything missing from consumer editions can normally be installed manually anyway.

An ISIC card (http://www.isic.org/) is a type of internationally recognised student ID which I think Dreamspark accepts as proof of student status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Yeah, definitely go for it :yy: It's not that different to standard Windows, just faster with more powerful features. Anything missing from consumer editions can normally be installed manually anyway.

An ISIC card (http://www.isic.org/) is a type of internationally recognised student ID which I think Dreamspark accepts as proof of student status.
    Thanks a million I'm gonna look into that ID card after my interview

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the School of Computer Science at Manchester is part of Microsoft's DreamSpark Program, and whether it's Premium or not?
    Yes, the school of computer science does have DreamSpark Premium which has all the essentials on it like Windows 7, 8.1, Visio etc. Unfortunately the website update they did on the school's site over the summer broke the page, but they've said it should be fixed by January so if you're arriving in September then it'll all be up and working long before then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acei)
    Yes, the school of computer science does have DreamSpark Premium which has all the essentials on it like Windows 7, 8.1, Visio etc. Unfortunately the website update they did on the school's site over the summer broke the page, but they've said it should be fixed by January so if you're arriving in September then it'll all be up and working long before then
    Thanks I feel like I have to point out that I haven't got an offer yet, just an interview, but I have my mind set on Manchester because it's so awesome (in my opinion anyway :P) hopefully my interview goes well!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.