Lcm and hcf Watch

shubhro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I HAVE A QUESTION FROM THE QUESTION PAPER OF MY DAUGHTER ( FOR 10 - 11 YEAR OLD STUDENTS). i HAVE THE SOLUTION, BUT FEEL IT IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR A CHILD OF 10 TO DO IT IN MY WAY. MAY BE I AM NOT THINKING THE WAY THE EXAMINER WANTS A 10 YEAR TO THINK. I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP IN THIS.

QUESTION: THE LCM OF 2 NUMBERS IS 210. IF THE LCM IS DIVIDED BY THE NUMBERS THEN THE QUOTIENTS ARE ODD CONSECUTIVE NUMBERS. FIND THE HCF.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shubhro)
I HAVE A QUESTION FROM THE QUESTION PAPER OF MY DAUGHTER ( FOR 10 - 11 YEAR OLD STUDENTS). i HAVE THE SOLUTION, BUT FEEL IT IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR A CHILD OF 10 TO DO IT IN MY WAY. MAY BE I AM NOT THINKING THE WAY THE EXAMINER WANTS A 10 YEAR TO THINK. I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP IN THIS.

QUESTION: THE LCM OF 2 NUMBERS IS 210. IF THE LCM IS DIVIDED BY THE NUMBERS THEN THE QUOTIENTS ARE ODD CONSECUTIVE NUMBERS. FIND THE HCF.
I would suggest finding all the factors of 210, i.e. 2x3x5x7 so the numbers can only have one each of these factors i.e. can only be two of 2x3, 2x7, 2x3x5, 2x3x7, 2x5x7, 3x5, 3x7, and 5x7 and using trial and error
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I would just divide 210 by odd numbers until I found 2 that worked

Since 1 and 3 work and the wording of the question suggests there is only one solution I would use those

Giving 210 and 70

Giving 70
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

There are at least 3 possible answers
6 from 30 & 42
14 from 42 & 70
70 from 70 & 210
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brianeverit)
There are at least 3 possible answers
6 from 30 & 42
14 from 42 & 70
70 from 70 & 210
Making it a very poor question

210 is, as you say, divisible by

I think that is it though
shubhro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks a ton guys. I think the approach you all have suggested is the right one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.06%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (175)
19.21%
It was TERRIBLE (147)
16.14%

Watched Threads