LSE vs. Oxford MFE Watch

vkb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all,

So I got through the MSc. in Financial Economics programme at the University of Oxford, and I have also applied to the MSc. in Finance and Economics programme at the London School of Economics, although I'm still waiting to hear back from LSE.

Both courses have similar course structure and curriculum (from what I could tell), and let's avoid factoring in the cost differences. That is, I just want to compare the two courses purely in terms of the academic ranking, reputation with future employers, and recruitment guidance and opportunities, especially for careers in front-end investment banking roles.

Also, does being closer to the financial district (as LSE is) really help one's career prospects in the initial stages, as opposed to studying and living in Oxford?

I'd really appreciate any inputs/experiences that you guys could share.

Thanks a lot!
-vkb
HelicopterBen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LSE is great for career prospects. In terms of masters, do look carefully at similarities and differences between the two. I study at LSE and FE is probably the toughest programme here. You need very strong maths background or understanding to do well as some courses are at a level of first year PhD. I guess it's similar for Oxford but I do not have that experience so I cannot say with certainty. As for reputation, for finance and economics I think many will prefer LSE but obviously Oxford has better overall reputation (if you care what man on the street would say). When I had to make a decision, several professors recommended LSE, although I later made a decision based on some other reasons.

For Investment banking, both schools will give you good background, I would say the difference is minimal. LSE has the advantage of being in London, very close to the City so it's very convenient for bankers to stop by and they often hold presentation, workshops, networking events, etc. but I know they also go to Oxford to do the same. I've done IB interviews and I've always seen people from both LSE and Oxford so I guess they're pretty similar in terms of placements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (1)
11.11%
The paper was reasonable (5)
55.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (2)
22.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed