Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically... if you write a statement for History will you have an admissions tutor designated for history (who knows a fair bit about it), or are all admissions tutors non-subject specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Probably yes, in our uni course learders are the ones who read the statements.

ReputationRep:
    Do admissions contact your referees when deciding on your applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas_96)
    Basically... if you write a statement for History will you have an admissions tutor designated for history (who knows a fair bit about it), or are all admissions tutors non-subject specific?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes obviously, your application gets forwarded to the department which is then handled by the admissions tutor ( usually a professor or highly rated lecturer within the department).

Referees write a reference for you, and probably majority of the time if there is no unusual circumstance they aren't contacted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas_96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it is considered by an admissions tutor, then yes that will be subject specific.

However many (most?) applications over universities as a whole are considered by admissions officers who are not academics at all. They will be given instructions to sort into -"yes", "no" and "maybe". Only the "maybe" pile will go to an academic.

This year is the first year when admissions data has been sent electronically rather than in hard copy to all universities. Some offers have come back so quickly after submission (literally minutes) that some universities must be using computer programs to say "yes" presumably for the most straightforward cases ie non-mature applicants, doing the correct A levels without contextual factors with the right grades for courses where everyone who has the appropriate grades gets an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    If it is considered by an admissions tutor, then yes that will be subject specific.

However many (most?) applications over universities as a whole are considered by admissions officers who are not academics at all. They will be given instructions to sort into -"yes", "no" and "maybe". Only the "maybe" pile will go to an academic.

This year is the first year when admissions data has been sent electronically rather than in hard copy to all universities. Some offers have come back so quickly after submission (literally minutes) that some universities must be using computer programs to say "yes" presumably for the most straightforward cases ie non-mature applicants, doing the correct A levels without contextual factors with the right grades for courses where everyone who has the appropriate grades gets an offer.
    It has been staggeringly quick in some cases, hasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    It has been staggeringly quick in some cases, hasn't it?
    I think electronic transfer of data from UCAS to universities (which I suspect most applicants assumed happened a decade or two ago) breaks the logjam for reform of the admissions system given that post A -level admissions seems to be in the too hard pile.

You could get rid of the generic personal statement and have universities responding (if they wish to do so, and I suspect most wouldn't) with targeted course specific requests for further information. I think the personal statement was something that came from the common polytechnic application form before PCAS was set up and then only entered the university sector when UCCA and PCAS were merged. It was always more relevant to those with non-traditional backgrounds who had more to say about themselves than their academic qualifications.

You could also reduce main scheme choices to say, three but open Extra in September and allow three choices at a time in Extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think electronic transfer of data from UCAS to universities (which I suspect most applicants assumed happened a decade or two ago) breaks the logjam for reform of the admissions system given that post A -level admissions seems to be in the too hard pile.

You could get rid of the generic personal statement and have universities responding (if they wish to do so, and I suspect most wouldn't) with targeted course specific requests for further information. I think the personal statement was something that came from the common polytechnic application form before PCAS was set up and then only entered the university sector when UCCA and PCAS were merged. It was always more relevant to those with non-traditional backgrounds who had more to say about themselves than their academic qualifications.

You could also reduce main scheme choices to say, three but open Extra in September and allow three choices at a time in Extra.
    Oh, I think if you and I and a couple of others on this forum put our heads together for half an hour we could easily come up with something infinitely better. I must admit that I didn't find out about the paper copies until relatively recently and was absolutely gobsmacked. I'm trying to remember at what point in the 25 years I've been processing applications (nearly 26 now...) the personal statement became part of my annual workload and I simply can't recall. I certainly didn't do one myself back in 1976, although interestingly enough, given that blethering on about irrelevant hobbies is something we actively discourage these days, there was a section asking about hobbies. I think I made something up like morris dancing and autograph hunting or the like, because I felt the real truth (boys) wasn't likely to get me a place.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.