How to get buses in Lancaster University Watch

Meir1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I am new to Lancaster University and England overall. I do not know how to use the public transport systems here. What do I say when I get on to the bus from campus into Lancaster town? "Single to Lancaster please?" What exactly should I do? Say it, give the money, take the ticket? Please take me through every small step. Also where are the bus stops?

I know it must seem silly to you but I have just arrived in England and don't want to make a fool of myself!
Lorox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, first of all, assuming you're on campus then your safest bet is the underpass. There's two stairways leading down to it in Alex Square. When you get down there there'll probably be a conductor selling tickets, if not then you'll just have to ask the bus driver directly, but the same process will apply. Assuming you want to go into Lancaster and return the same day, ask for a "return to the city centre" or "return to the bus station" (they're pretty close to each other and I get off at either stop depending where I want to go), it is a little confusing saying you want a return to a place, when what you actually mean is you want a ticket that will let you go there and then at a later time in the day get on a bus back. It's £2.40 I think for a return, so they'll ask you for that, you pay, you get your ticket.
Make sure you're getting on a bus that stops there, I think the most common one is the number three, but check the routes of others to see. On the front of the bus as it pulls it, it will say where it's going and underneath any major stops it'll stop at along the way. If you bought your ticket from the conductor, just get on, you might need hold your ticket up to the driver as you do, but they usually assume you have one. If you haven't bought it yet, just ask the driver for a return and pay them there, then just find a seat or whatever until you reach your stop.
Getting back is pretty simple, just head to a stop (e.g the centre or the bus station) and wait for a bus going back to the underpass, if you're at the bus station there will be a board telling you which stand it will be pulling in at. Then just get on and give the driver your ticket, they'll punch it and you can ride the bus back to campus.
If you're not looking to go there and come back the same day, or you're in Lancaster and want to come back to campus but don't have a return, just ask for a "single to ____", and pay whatever they say is costs, which I think is £1.60 from Lancaster to the underpass.
Good look and don't worry, I always find using transport in a new area terrifying.
Manitude
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lorox)
Okay, first of all, assuming you're on campus then your safest bet is the underpass. There's two stairways leading down to it in Alex Square. When you get down there there'll probably be a conductor selling tickets, if not then you'll just have to ask the bus driver directly, but the same process will apply. Assuming you want to go into Lancaster and return the same day, ask for a "return to the city centre" or "return to the bus station" (they're pretty close to each other and I get off at either stop depending where I want to go), it is a little confusing saying you want a return to a place, when what you actually mean is you want a ticket that will let you go there and then at a later time in the day get on a bus back. It's £2.40 I think for a return, so they'll ask you for that, you pay, you get your ticket.
Make sure you're getting on a bus that stops there, I think the most common one is the number three, but check the routes of others to see. On the front of the bus as it pulls it, it will say where it's going and underneath any major stops it'll stop at along the way. If you bought your ticket from the conductor, just get on, you might need hold your ticket up to the driver as you do, but they usually assume you have one. If you haven't bought it yet, just ask the driver for a return and pay them there, then just find a seat or whatever until you reach your stop.
Getting back is pretty simple, just head to a stop (e.g the centre or the bus station) and wait for a bus going back to the underpass, if you're at the bus station there will be a board telling you which stand it will be pulling in at. Then just get on and give the driver your ticket, they'll punch it and you can ride the bus back to campus.
If you're not looking to go there and come back the same day, or you're in Lancaster and want to come back to campus but don't have a return, just ask for a "single to ____", and pay whatever they say is costs, which I think is £1.60 from Lancaster to the underpass.
Good look and don't worry, I always find using transport in a new area terrifying.
Pretty much this.
Most buses from the underpass go to town, so that's 2, 2A, 3, 4 (goes to railway stations), X4 (also railway station), 12 (not common, think it only runs at about 8am going to campus and 5pm coming back). Sometimes 41 and 42, but only if they say Lancaster on them. If they say "blackpool" or "preston" they're going in the opposite direction.

If the bus says Lancaster, Heysham or Morecambe you can get on it and go into town. The ones going to Heysham and Morecambe all go through Lancaster first.
Meir1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your detailed explanations! I am in Lonsdale near Cartmel, Pendle and Graduate. There is a long expanse of concrete (sorry for my poor english!) before the zebra crossing that leads to the Central. Someone says it is called Cartmel South Avenue I think...Are there buses going into Lancaster from there? I see people standing at what seems to be a bus stop and that is much closer to where I live.

Also, is the number 3 a Stagecoach bus? I may be confused..
Thank you again for your patience
Lorox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know where you're talking about, and yes a few buses will go into Lancaster from there. I think there are two stops, one is the Lonsdale stop, the next is the Cartmel stop. If you look at the iLancaster app you can see when the buses are going there and where they are going to (I think if you look at the Lonsdale stop, it just says all the buses are then going to the Cartmel stop, so that's super helpful) so from that you can work out if there's a bus soon. Also all the uni buses are stagecoach, so yes the number 3 should be, it's just the company that runs them.
MMAGuy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Generally stick to the 3 for town

The 2A if you have to

The X4 or 2A for the rail station

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.79%
The paper was reasonable (494)
39.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (220)
17.5%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.41%

Watched Threads