GCSE English [Of Mice and Men] Watch

B4sh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently preparing my Controlled Assessment for Of Mice and Men and the question links to: "Explore the ways the theme authority is presented in the novella Of Mice and Men"

I am looking to get an A* on this Assessment and was wondering if any of you guys could give me a draft introduction as i am clueless or maybe some points i can consider?
username1132180
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to get an A*, you need to get off your own back and write your own stuff, you can be done for plagiarising.

However I can give you pointers. Authority, well in that time there was astigmatism against black people and disabled, see how Lenny, crooks and the old amputee man, and curlys wife where at the bottom of the pecking order, and yet the boss, curly and slim where at the top, this is 1920 american so they where racist against black's so he would be bossed about by others.
PS, If you're looking to get that grade, I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself.
B4sh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sphodromantis)
If you want to get an A*, you need to get off your own back and write your own stuff, you can be done for plagiarising.

However I can give you pointers. Authority, well in that time there was astigmatism against black people and disabled, see how Lenny, crooks and the old amputee man, and curlys wife where at the bottom of the pecking order, and yet the boss, curly and slim where at the top, this is 1920 american so they where racist against black's so he would be bossed about by others.
PS, If you're looking to get that grade, I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself.
I do understand that i obviously have to do it by myself. But obviously if someone asks for an Opener to get them going isnt bad? Anyway thanks for the pointers i will be using them If you have any more feel free to post them
emma-lauren
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For an A* grade,you need to lay out your essay efficiently and cleanly. (Don't know if essay structure is useful for you or not, if not just skip to the next paragraph)Basically, introduction is key, a sharp introduction sets out a strong essay and it is the first thing an examiner will read. Your points, so, for example, 'Steinbeck explores authority during the Great Depression via *insert authorial device or specific point here*.' and then drop into the first point you wish to analyse at the end of the intorduction, ready for the next paragraph, creating a flowing essay. Remember to analyse form, structure and language and whichever quotes you use from the novella make sure you back up why this is an interesting quote and how the author has used the devices within it to explore authority.
In terms of the actual answering of the question think about how Curly is a man who wears heels and tries to make himself look bigger than he is. This is because he has an inferiority complex, yet he is supposed to be in charge. He has a problem with authority as no one respects him and he thinks that he can lead by scaring the workers. Think about why he tries to physically make himself bigger- he is trying to be a stereotypical boss figure, big and tall. You can use this to go on about how Steinbeck is mocking that type of character.Then there is the racist element within America, at the time. Although Crooks (sorry if the names wrong, I read this a good few years back) is still treated with respect which means that his authority is seen more from a meritocracy point of view, but they are still racist towards him, explore this thought as meritocracy, 'going from log cabin to the white house' is all part of the Aemrican dream which Lenny etc. want so badly.
Hope this gets you started and good luck. Remember to closely read the text and analyse the language and plan your essay well, you should be fine.
username1132180
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't be scared to use the word ******.
B4sh
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma-lauren)
For an A* grade,you need to lay out your essay efficiently and cleanly. (Don't know if essay structure is useful for you or not, if not just skip to the next paragraph)Basically, introduction is key, a sharp introduction sets out a strong essay and it is the first thing an examiner will read. Your points, so, for example, 'Steinbeck explores authority during the Great Depression via *insert authorial device or specific point here*.' and then drop into the first point you wish to analyse at the end of the intorduction, ready for the next paragraph, creating a flowing essay. Remember to analyse form, structure and language and whichever quotes you use from the novella make sure you back up why this is an interesting quote and how the author has used the devices within it to explore authority.
In terms of the actual answering of the question think about how Curly is a man who wears heels and tries to make himself look bigger than he is. This is because he has an inferiority complex, yet he is supposed to be in charge. He has a problem with authority as no one respects him and he thinks that he can lead by scaring the workers. Think about why he tries to physically make himself bigger- he is trying to be a stereotypical boss figure, big and tall. You can use this to go on about how Steinbeck is mocking that type of character.Then there is the racist element within America, at the time. Although Crooks (sorry if the names wrong, I read this a good few years back) is still treated with respect which means that his authority is seen more from a meritocracy point of view, but they are still racist towards him, explore this thought as meritocracy, 'going from log cabin to the white house' is all part of the Aemrican dream which Lenny etc. want so badly.
Hope this gets you started and good luck. Remember to closely read the text and analyse the language and plan your essay well, you should be fine.

Thanks a lot .. Before i actually read this i had done a draft of my introduction and i am pleased to say i got an A. But as you know i am aiming for an A* and i'm more than sure your points will be more than beneficial to help me achieve this thanks a lot!
B4sh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sphodromantis)
Don't be scared to use the word ******.
Dont worry im not afraid to use it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (49)
14.16%
The paper was reasonable (174)
50.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
23.99%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
11.56%

Watched Threads