Wine. Macbook. Help. Crying. Watch

Liller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I elbowed my glass of wine thus causing some to spill on my 2012 13" Macbook Pro (less than a month old may I add!) most of the wine was on my chair and desk, but (I'm guessing) about 2-3tablespoons went on the keyboard of my mbp. My friend held it upside down to hopefully drain out as much as possible, whilst I cleaned it.. Then turned it off and left it open upside down in a cool place over night. Fortunately it seems to be working fine (touch wood!) however I've noticed that the back lit keyboard is only lit up in the centre (keys TYUGHBN and a couple at the top too - I'm pretty sure the others we working yesterday.. just a lot duller than the centre ones) ALSO some of the keys (mainly space bar and possibly a few on left had side) are sticky.. PLEASE HELP ME. I'm a student in my first year of University, I worked all summer to save up for this macbook and within a month of getting it, this happens I even bought 3yr applecare (I know its probably void now) I actually feel like crying. My Mum will go absolutely MENTAL if she finds out, I'm going home for christmas in a month and need to get this fixed before I go! Does anyone know how much its going to cost me? realistically? I'll have to put it on a credit card or something :/ -Thanks in advance
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apple are supposed to have excellent customer support, just take it back to them and say you don't know what happened.

You spent ~2k on a laptop worth no more than 6-700 so don't feel bad about lying to them. If that fails, just tell your parents and ask if you can claim on insurance (and you'll pay the excess)
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
does applecare not cover accidental damage?
Ayesha1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, don't cry! It'll be okay hopefully

Apple are actually awesome, I recently had them replace my iPhone with a brand new one after having it for less than a month. Just make a reservation with them and take everything in with you. I'd be honest about what happened so they can figure out how to fix it or replace it entirely. They're usually very understanding and helpful, I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out.
tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage as far as I'm aware, it's pointless telling them you don't know what happened as they'll test for water damage and it will have invalidated your warranty. The best thing you can do is either take it in, see how much they'll charge you to repair or (if you can cope without half a backlit keyboard) get some alcohol wipes or similar and clean it up the best you can.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
You spent ~2k on a laptop worth no more than 6-700 so don't feel bad about lying to them.
Unhelpful comment award.
beckaroo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh no! As long as it's working fine that's the main things right? ABout the keyboard maybe take it to an apple store and ask how much it would be to fix if you didn't want your parents to find out. Or try to find out if apply care covers accidental damage. Maybe try cleaning the keys with dettol on an ear bud while the laptop is switched off?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's a shame it didn't happen at your parents home, or you could have possibly claimed on their house insurance.
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
it's a shame it didn't happen at your parents home, or you could have possibly claimed on their house insurance.
Some parents home insurance covers their children's things in halls, it has something to do with your parents address is still your permanent address and home insurance sometimes covers items while out of the home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kumori)
Some parents home insurance covers their children's things in halls, it has something to do with your parents address is still your permanent address and home insurance sometimes covers items while out of the home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah well maybe that's the solution then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
30.59%
The paper was reasonable (524)
39.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (226)
17.07%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.76%

Watched Threads