Cambridge Uni GCSE requirements A*'s?? Watch

LuceBear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm so sorry if I've got this wrong, I'm new here and don't know where to post! Just had a question, I was looking on the Cambridge university website, purely just out of interest, looking at different courses. I saw a course which I was interested in (education alongside drama and English). I'm a year 11 state school student. My predicted grades are 2 A*'s and 8 A's. Although there are no 'set requirements' for gcse's, is Cambridge just an unrealistic ambition as there aren't that many A*'s in there? Please help
TheHenri
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For Cambridge, GCSES are not that important. They are more interested in your AS/A2 grades and your UMS in these, which they use to compare different students.
It's always a bonus to have many A* in GCSES, but if you have awesome AS Levels you still have a very good shot at Cambridge. Good Luck
TheMillieg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Someone from my school, got in last year with only one A at GCSE, and the rest B's. They are more interested in A levels, and your interview performance. Don't worry about it! Also, I'm applying and I only have 3 A'S and one A*. You won't get it, if you don't apply.
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LuceBear)
I'm so sorry if I've got this wrong, I'm new here and don't know where to post! Just had a question, I was looking on the Cambridge university website, purely just out of interest, looking at different courses. I saw a course which I was interested in (education alongside drama and English). I'm a year 11 state school student. My predicted grades are 2 A*'s and 8 A's. Although there are no 'set requirements' for gcse's, is Cambridge just an unrealistic ambition as there aren't that many A*'s in there? Please help
Get to the end of AS (year 12), then you've got a better chance of assessing your chances. Cambridge tend to care a bit more about AS results anyway. It's by no means an unrealistic ambition, even with only a couple of A*s - but use it as motivation to nail your GCSEs and go from there. Those are only your predicted grades, after all, they're not set in stone.
LuceBear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by TheMillieg)
Someone from my school, got in last year with only one A at GCSE, and the rest B's. They are more interested in A levels, and your interview performance. Don't worry about it! Also, I'm applying and I only have 3 A'S and one A*. You won't get it, if you don't apply.

That was indeed the last thing I read on the site haha! I'm also head girl at my school. Which I know isn't what they're looking for, but I was wondering, compounded with extra curricular and grades, do you reckon that would be seen as a 'bonus'? Not so much the role itself but the ability to converse with adults, interviewing and time management etc?

I'm planning to take: RS philosophy and ethics, English Literature, Drama and either English language or maths. The school I hope to get into is another state school, but actually a partner with the faculty of education at Cambridge. It's just, I don't regard myself as an elitist and unfortunately from the myths and legends:that's ultimately who they want. The amount of times I've cried because I'm under the belief that I'm stupid in comparison to competition.

I am so sorry for bombarding you with that! As you can tell I'm a newbieBest of luck with your application!!
TheMillieg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That was indeed the last thing I read on the site haha! I'm also head girl at my school. Which I know isn't what they're looking for, but I was wondering, compounded with extra curricular and grades, do you reckon that would be seen as a 'bonus'? Not so much the role itself but the ability to converse with adults, interviewing and time management etc?

I'm planning to take: RS philosophy and ethics, English Literature, Drama and either English language or maths. The school I hope to get into is another state school, but actually a partner with the faculty of education at Cambridge. It's just, I don't regard myself as an elitist and unfortunately from the myths and legends:that's ultimately who they want. The amount of times I've cried because I'm under the belief that I'm stupid in comparison to competition.

I am so sorry for bombarding you with that! As you can tell I'm a newbieBest of luck with your application!!

I haven't applied yet, currently year 12. Haha, but thank you!
And include it for sure! I've started my personal statement as the Cambridge deadline is October sometime, and my teacher (who went to Oxford), basically said to overload it. Go full out and write everything you can. But don't take on more than you can handle; I have done this and it's hell. And that's fine, I come from a state school and more and more state school kids are getting into top unis these days. And lastly, believe in yourself, the best advice i think I have been given is to be confident. As long as your results are good, in what way are you below anyone else? Don't underestimate yourself.

Also, the fact that the school is a partner with them, TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE. I'd kill for a connection like that! And finally, don't cry. You are not inferior in any way.

Good luck, and sorry I'm not much help but in a year's time I hopefully will be haha.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm afraid almost everybody who applies has a string of extra-curriculars and is head girl/boy. So whilst it shows time management it doesn't exactly set you apart. As others have said it is about AS UMS not GCSEs. I would only qualify that by saying that most people who are good enough to get high UMS find GCSEs straightforward so tend to come out with a large number of A*. The exceptions are often those who didn't bother to work at GCSE and had poor teaching or difficult circumstances. However some do just develop later.

Elitist is such an unhelpful word! If you mean interested in the brightest and most academically able then yes Cambridge is elitist. If you mean preferring a private school or middle/upper class background then all the evidence is that Cambridge is looking for the opposite. The people who constantly repeat this myth do more to stop people getting in from disadvantaged backgrounds than anything else by putting people off applying. Most of them do so without a shred of evidence besides repeated prejudice.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...dtheheadlines/
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...weroffers.html
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...nsschools.html and so on.....
Yosho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The myths and legends are wrong.
I never did all of this head boy head girl stuff, didn't exist in my school, didn't exist in my college. Wasn't a problem. A few people from my school got in. They did not expect a fancy public-school bearing or anything like that and were far more interested at interview in understanding and ability to take on new knowledge. There were tests between interviews but they were not interested in an 'elitist' background. When they used long words, they explained what they meant. They picked topics at random from further maths a level that they wanted written up and solved on the board. They wanted texts analysed in the 20 minutes between interviews. This was far more important than background.

Your A's will not affect your chances so don't worry, you will be considered on merit and if you get an interview you will be considered on your interview performance. It is far more important to be ready and alert for quick thinking and considered answers at interview than worry that not all your GCSEs are As.. I don't think it will be a problem for you, so chin up and good luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.94%
The paper was reasonable (491)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.35%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.47%

Watched Threads