Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am trying to learn Arabic, mostly just to see if I can. What advice can you give me?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Hello I am trying to learn Arabic, mostly just to see if I can. What advice can you give me?
    To be fair Arabic is pretty much split up into so many dialects......

The only decent place I know, is Ibn Jabal, people tend to do the level 1 course twice before moving onto the level 2 course and then level 3 course.

Other things some people do, take Arabic classes, and then over summer go somewhere abroad to learn like in Egypt in particular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    To be fair Arabic is pretty much split up into so many dialects......

The only decent place I know, is Ibn Jabal, people tend to do the level 1 course twice before moving onto the level 2 course and then level 3 course.

Other things some people do, take Arabic classes, and then over summer go somewhere abroad to learn like in Egypt in particular.
    Thank you. I am aware that they will be different dialects but surely there must be a standard Arabic dialect? In the same way you get Standard British English or such.
    أعتذر إذا كان هذا يبدو جاهل بشكل صارخ
    I apologise if this seems blatantly ignorant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I am aware that they will be different dialects but surely there must be a standard Arabic dialect? In the same way you get Standard British English or such.

There is Modern Standard Arabic which is what Arabs learn at school and it's used in court and on the news and so on but it is very rarely spoken and if you just learn that, you'll be at a massive disadvantage when you go to Arab countries because you won't understand what anyone is saying to you! Lol, so you're really better off learning it for writing purposes only and then for speech, you should go for a well-known dialect like Egyptian or Syrian. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Not really to be honest..........though ideally you want to learn fusa Arabic, I think thats what its called, but you'll be able to understand the other dialects though slightly different. Emirate Arabic is apparently really a "slang" kinda version, so stay away from that version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango93)
    There is Modern Standard Arabic which is what Arabs learn at school and it's used in court and on the news and so on but it is very rarely spoken and if you just learn that, you'll be at a massive disadvantage when you go to Arab countries because you won't understand what anyone is saying to you! Lol, so you're really better off learning it for writing purposes only and then for speech, you should go for a well-known dialect like Egyptian or Syrian. Hope this helps

شكرا لكم وأنا في محاولة لمعرفة عربية الفصحى المعاصرة، كنقطة انطلاق ثم ننتقل إلى النظر في مختلف اللهجات.
    Thank you I will try to learn Modern Standard Arabic as a starting point then move on to consider various dialects.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiousity, why exactly do you want to learn other than 'seeing if you can'

Good luck though. I think you should start with learning the arabic alphabet, then reading arabic and then go from there there are really good vids on YT too

ReputationRep:
    You're probably doing it for all the wrong reasons so you'll end up failing tbh

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gateway-Arab.../dp/B0051XIK9O

^ The set of books above are for beginners.

http://www.darussalam.com/Learn-Arab...duct_info.html

^ The one above is really good and has a cd included which can improve your pronunciation. But it doesn't exactly have English translations, perhaps you have a friend/tutor that can help.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.