Turn on thread page Beta

Deputy Secretary General Role - Amendment watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this amendment come into effect?
    Aye
    87.50%
    No
    0%
    Abstain
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    Three days of voting will now be held.

Deputy Secretary General Role Amendment
    Belarus and Syrian Arab Republic representative submits to the General Assembly,

That the following, from Chapter 7 "The Secretary General" of the MUN Charter:

1) Is the main administrator and mediator of the MUN, the decision of the Secretary General is final in all matters and they must act in the MUN’s best interest.

2) Should hold regular roll calls to ensure activity in the General Assembly is maintained.

3) Will serve a minimum term of six months, after which they can stand for election to retain their position.

4) Can be removed at any time by a Vote of No Confidence.

5) Will endeavour to hold an awards ceremony every year to honour the best MUN members.

6) Shall be elected using the timetable in section 2 of the Guidance Document. The Deputy Secretary General shall also be elected using this method.

7) The Deputy Secretary General will provide support to the SG with all MUN issues.

8) The DSG will preside over the MUN in the event that the SG is unable to fulfill their duties.
    is amended to:

1) Is the main administrator and mediator of the MUN, the decision of the Secretary General is final in all matters and they must act in the MUN’s best interest.

2) Should hold regular roll calls to ensure activity in the General Assembly is maintained.

3) Will serve a minimum term of six months, after which they can stand for election to retain their position.

4) Can be removed at any time by a Vote of No Confidence.

5) Will endeavour to hold an awards ceremony every year to honour the best MUN members.

6) Shall be elected using the timetable in section 2 of the Guidance Document. The Deputy Secretary General shall also be elected using this method.

7) The Deputy Secretary General will provide support to the SG with all MUN issues.

8) The DSG will preside over the MUN in the event that the SG is unable to fulfill their duties.

9) The DSG may also represent a nation, MUN office or observer position in addition to their administrative responsibilities.
    This simple amendment replicates the Model House of Commons in that the Deputy should set an example to the rest of the sub-forum in terms of activity and representing a nation, just as the Deputy Speaker represents a party in the MHoC. If we are to make the forums more interchangeable, it is also natural that they have a mirrored system of administration.

There aren't enough active member in the MUN to justify having two highly active but unable-to-participate in every day goings on members (DSG and SG) and so it would make sense to stress in the guidelines that the DSG has the freedom to continue representing their choice of nation or officer whilst also having the responsibility to assist the SG.

The position of DSG is essentially a failsafe for the SG’s absence, and so we should enshrine it in our Charter that the DSG is first and foremost a member of the MUN community, and secondary to this is their administrative role. This does not bind future DSGs as they have the freedom not to represent a nation, but it would be beneficial to this community if the DSG were exemplary in representing a nation as well as performing their aforementioned role in assisting the SG.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree to this. This would also help small amount admittedly but significantly help fill up the host of empty positions/ countries

However, I do not think the DSC should be forced to hold a representation of a country but should be obliged. Although on that point I think they should not be allowed to represent as SC member as this would give them not only too much 'power'. They should represent a country which is not part of the SC. This is due to not only having too much to do but also any military man-overs which are via the SC/DSG they would be allowed to see them before other SC reps can. Also if an election is help on a non-permanent member of the SC and they stood they would have an unfair advantage over other candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me, aye

ReputationRep:
    Defo, helps to fill out country places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    I completely agree to this. This would also help small amount admittedly but significantly help fill up the host of empty positions/ countries

However, I do not think the DSC should be forced to hold a representation of a country but should be obliged. Although on that point I think they should not be allowed to represent as SC member as this would give them not only too much 'power'. They should represent a country which is not part of the SC. This is due to not only having too much to do but also any military man-overs which are via the SC/DSG they would be allowed to see them before other SC reps can. Also if an election is help on a non-permanent member of the SC and they stood they would have an unfair advantage over other candidates.
    Fair point, but I think we need to contextualise. The MUN doesn't have nearly the active member base as the MHoC does; so allowing a DSG to represent a SC country for now (if they choose to do so) can only be beneficial for the forum, because the DSG (as a prerequisite) is usually one of the most active members of the community. If there becomes problems with a DSG representing an SG country, we can always alter this amendment later on, but we should implement this in its basic form first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Fair point, but I think we need to contextualise. The MUN doesn't have nearly the active member base as the MHoC does; so allowing a DSG to represent a SC country for now (if they choose to do so) can only be beneficial for the forum, because the DSG (as a prerequisite) is usually one of the most active members of the community. If there becomes problems with a DSG representing an SG country, we can always alter this amendment later on, but we should implement this in its basic form first.
    Much agreed, you can see my concern though. If we can boost our activity and membership then we can contextualise the limitations of the DSG's representation of a country.

ReputationRep:
    Aye from me.

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    Happy for a vote on this?

ReputationRep:
    An Aye for I

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this. As the DSG is probably one of the more active members and for them to take part in debates fully is only of benefit to the MUN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Aye from me.
    As the new DSG, this amendment will affect you. What is your view on the DSG having both a seat at the SC and being DSG? Should be be representing a smaller or medium country but which has significance like: Italy, Mexico or Australia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    As the new DSG, this amendment will affect you. What is your view on the DSG having both a seat at the SC and being DSG? Should be be representing a smaller or medium country but which has significance like: Italy, Mexico or Australia?
    If there are willing and active members who are wishing to take over some SC seats and my own then I'm happy to step down if this amendment goes through. I don't think it's fair to hold two very important positions such as that.

However, I would like to take on a smaller country as you suggested, still want to remain an active part of the debates and what not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    If there are willing and active members who are wishing to take over some SC seats and my own then I'm happy to step down if this amendment goes through. I don't think it's fair to hold two very important positions such as that.

However, I would like to take on a smaller country as you suggested, still want to remain an active part of the debates and what not
    I disagree with Will, I think that it is paramount that our most active members remain in the Security Council. That includes the DSG. The DSG is first and foremost a member of the community, so they should continue to represent their nation, the SG can hold the fort most of the time, like in the MHoC. There is no point in having someone like you step-down from France when we don't have many active members to replace you

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with Will, I think that it is paramount that our most active members remain in the Security Council. That includes the DSG. The DSG is first and foremost a member of the community, so they should continue to represent their nation, the SG can hold the fort most of the time, like in the MHoC. There is no point in having someone like you step-down from France when we don't have many active members to replace you
    I am partly in agreement with you. At the time being yes the DSg should be allowed a SC seat due to the lack of activity. Although but hypothetically when there is a lot of activity I don't think they should be able and should give the chance to someone else when the MUN is active. On a level of principle with the DSG being both DSG and on the SC I think that gives them too much power in the MUN, they will also probably have another smaller GA member as well. So by being: DSG, in the SC and representing a smaller country I think this allows them to hold too much power.

Perhaps the best thing is to allow the DSG at the time to decide whether to be on the SC but to definitely prevent them from duel representation.

ReputationRep:
    I think the DSG should not have a seat on the SC as other members of the GA are looking for places in the SC and seeing as they will be a Community Assistant (therefoer active) they can held stimulate activity in the GA

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    Would you like this to go to a vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Would you like this to go to a vote?
    Yes please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry_Tudor)
    I think the DSG should have a seat on the SC as other members of the GA are not looking for places in the SC and seeing as they will be a Community Assistant (therefoer active) they can held stimulate activity in the GA through bringing active leadership to the SC
    I've edited your post to the truth of what having a DSG on the SC would mean

ReputationRep:
    I've edited your post to the truth of what having a DSG on the SC would mean
    However have you not considered that some members whop are in more junior countries might want to step up to the position rather than still represent the non SC members.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.