MUN Newspaper or Email Newsletter Watch

This discussion is closed.
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Dear all

This idea has been proposed before but people's opinions on it may have changed. I'm thinking of starting up either a MUN Newspaper or an email newsletter.

The newspaper or newsletter will consist of the latest news from what's happening in the sub-forum as well as in real-life with real UN developments along with comment, opinion, debate, reader submissions, jokes and much more.

What I'd like feedback and your opinion and response on is:

• Would you prefer it in a newspaper format or email newsletter?
  • How often would you want it?
  • Would you be prepared to submit things to the newspaper/newsletter?
  • Would any of you like to be a co-editor?
  • Do you have any other ideas of how it could be formatted?
  • Would you like anything else it that I haven't already mentioned?

Give me your thoughts here.

Kind regards,

RoryS
Secretary General
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great idea. It might be good to have a newsletter to mark ourselves apart from the Commons' Ad Hoc, though clearly this is meant to mirror the success of that particular paper.
RoryS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
Great idea. It might be good to have a newsletter to mark ourselves apart from the Commons' Ad Hoc, though clearly this is meant to mirror the success of that particular paper.
Yeah, it needs to have distinct unique features that Ad HOC doesn't have but I'm thinking of using a similar layout in terms of textboxes etc if we do go with the newspaper idea as I don't have very imaginative layout ideas at the moment!
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoryS)
Yeah, it needs to have distinct unique features that Ad HOC doesn't have but I'm thinking of using a similar layout in terms of textboxes etc if we do go with the newspaper idea as I don't have very imaginative layout ideas at the moment!
Sounds great, would you be the editor?
RoryS
Rep:
?
Sounds great, would you be the editor?
I'm thinking so yeah, I'd like to take on the challenge but I'm looking for a co-editor as well to write some pieces, make some contributions on a regular basis.
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A newsletter like Ad HOC sounds good to me. It'll give us a chance to give the MUN a nice look, which you can't get on the forum (flags, colours etc)
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoryS)
I'm thinking so yeah, I'd like to take on the challenge but I'm looking for a co-editor as well to write some pieces, make some contributions on a regular basis.
Cool, i'd be happy to co-edit if need be or contribute to main pieces.
alexgr97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely with either format it'd have to be email? I think once a month is a good timeline - not too long a time period in between each issue but enough time for it to be (comfortably) put together. I'd be happy to contribute
RoryS
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexgr97)
Surely with either format it'd have to be email? I think once a month is a good timeline - not too long a time period in between each issue but enough time for it to be (comfortably) put together. I'd be happy to contribute
It doesn't have to be email. With the newspaper version I'd create it on a document or using a website, then publish it to a publishing site like Issuu where it accessible by everyone.

The email newsletter would go into your inbox and would take a similar style to the TSR newsletter.
alexgr97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoryS)
It doesn't have to be email. With the newspaper version I'd create it on a document or using a website, then publish it to a publishing site like Issuu where it accessible by everyone.

The email newsletter would go into your inbox and would take a similar style to the TSR newsletter.
Ah, fair enough. Nevertheless, I think email would still be better. I think emails are more accessible - especially to those who don't frequent the forums often.
RoryS
Rep:
?
Ah, fair enough. Nevertheless, I think email would still be better. I think emails are more accessible - especially to those who don't frequent the forums often.
Okay that's interesting, thank you.
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally wouldn't want to see an email sent out. I made sure I turned off every possible email from here as soon as I signed up Would much prefer something like Ad HOC.
RoryS
Rep:
?
(Original post by DivinityA)
I personally wouldn't want to see an email sent out. I made sure I turned off every possible email from here as soon as I signed up Would much prefer something like Ad HOC.
Thanks for that.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DivinityA)
(Original post by RoryS)
Thanks for that.
Much agreed, an email would not be ideal. Perhaps if it could be made into a blog and people to click on the link to it if that would work. Only a suggestion but the Ad Hoc style works well.

What would it be called?

I guess it depends how long it would be. A short and regual one, a long and no so regular or a medium one. How often is Ad Hoc?
RoryS
Rep:
?
Okay it looks like people are in favour of us setting this up which is great! I think the newspaper style probably beats the email thing but if people's preferences change in the future then we can always revert back to email.

Name suggestions for the newspaper will be gratefully received.

(Original post by Will95206)
Much agreed, an email would not be ideal. Perhaps if it could be made into a blog and people to click on the link to it if that would work. Only a suggestion but the Ad Hoc style works well.

What would it be called?

I guess it depends how long it would be. A short and regual one, a long and no so regular or a medium one. How often is Ad Hoc?
The blog idea is good, thats workable... but I also agree that the Ad HOC style works well...

Ad HOC aims for a monthly issue, that should be possible for us as I've got some time to commit to it so ours could be monthly.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoryS)
Okay it looks like people are in favour of us setting this up which is great! I think the newspaper style probably beats the email thing but if people's preferences change in the future then we can always revert back to email.

Name suggestions for the newspaper will be gratefully received.

The blog idea is good, thats workable... but I also agree that the Ad HOC style works well...

Ad HOC aims for a monthly issue, that should be possible for us as I've got some time to commit to it so ours could be monthly.
This sounds good, perhaps we could when it is up and running to get Ad Hoc to advertise our first issues to get the word out of the MUN and into the HofC which will help increase our readership of it. This would also help with getting a link between the MHofC and the MUN!
alexgr97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name could be 'Something (obviously have something instead of something) MUNthly'. It would only make sense if we did one once a month though
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name could be 'Something (obviously have something instead of something) MUNthly'. It would only make sense if we did one once a month though
LOL MUNthly is quiet a funny one!
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a brilliant name, even if it is out of context if we don't publish a monthly one
alexgr97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
LOL MUNthly is quiet a funny one!
That's a brilliant name, even if it is out of context if we don't publish a monthly one
Hahahaha, glad you like MUNthly - reading it back, it sounds so cheesy! XD
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (69)
19.66%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.03%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.32%

Watched Threads