2nd order auxillary differentials Watch

IceKidd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A couple of issues withbdifferential equations

1.When the auxillary equation has repeated roots, you are left with one complimentary function so one constant of integration which doesnt follow linearly as it is 2nd order. So x (Ae^nx) is another standard one, which the book im using shows its true. But it doesnt explain why, can anyone here

2. For non homogeneous functions when you are finding the particular integral, you use a trial function that is of same form as RHS of differential. It does work obviously and I kinf of get why, but any explicit reasoning.

3.Also where the RHS is of the same form as the complimentary function the trial function is x times the trial function u would normally use for the RHS. I can see that using the trial function of same form of RHS insnt going to lead anywhere in thus situation. But why is it x timesd by it that works, why not something completely different or x^2 or something?
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IceKidd)
A couple of issues withbdifferential equations

1.When the auxillary equation has repeated roots, you are left with one complimentary function so one constant of integration which doesnt follow linearly as it is 2nd order. So x (Ae^nx) is another standard one, which the book im using shows its true. But it doesnt explain why, can anyone here

2. For non homogeneous functions when you are finding the particular integral, you use a trial function that is of same form as RHS of differential. It does work obviously and I kinf of get why, but any explicit reasoning.

3.Also where the RHS is of the same form as the complimentary function the trial function is x times the trial function u would normally use for the RHS. I can see that using the trial function of same form of RHS insnt going to lead anywhere in thus situation. But why is it x timesd by it that works, why not something completely different or x^2 or something?
I have attached a course in differential equations that I wrote for the MEI module, Check out Lessons 5,6 and 7 and they should answer your queries.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads